• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DROP BRACKET INSTALL ???

XJsurf

NAXJA Forum User
So I decided today that I would start on installing the lca/uca RE drop brackets on the XJ. So I started with the passenger side first. I don't know if I need to get adjustable uppers or either lowers. I had to place a bottlejack between the stock lca mount and the axle to push the axle forwards to get the uppers to line up. I'm thinking that the axle is to far foreward. Is this going to be a problem? Can I fix this by either getting adjustable uppers or lowers? Any advice to whether this is right or what to do to fix it? Or is it really a problem at all.
Also I got the braces. I can't seem to get the to snug up against the drop bracket? Should I just get someone to weld them in place? Any tips?

i did the install a few weeks ago and had the same issues with the brackets and supports not snugging up like you would hope they would. just tighten them down as much as you can - - - try starting with all the bolts loose on the whole assembly and then use a criss cross pattern and start tightening everything up gradually - that's what got it close for me, eventually... it's still not perfect but i can live with it...

this was the mother of a mod, it gave me more trouble than anything else i have done on my jeep. the axle is further forward, i have RE fixed short arms and my caster is right about where it should be, so im happy. i used the caster alignment shoes with no shims to pull back the lowers as much as possible within the bracket. hope this helps at all, shoot back with more specifics if needed.

So I finally got done around 3:30 this afternoon. The driverside was a breeze after figuring out what not to do after the passenger side. Couple things I noticed. I'm guessing I need to get some form of lowering brackets for the swaybar and possible some new disco's. Disco's are touching the coil springs. So when I took it for a test drive, when I would come to a stop I noticed there was clanking sound. Defintely metal sounding. Any thoughts? It used to do it when going in reverse to stop. Thanks goXJ for the info

i took off my front swaybar at this point. i wont be runnning one. no steering stabilizer either. i have re 7.5 coils up front rusty's HD track bar, rustys crossover steering. dialed it all in and its running solid being turned by a durango steering box on the C-Rock plates. it is turning my 36 tsls like a champ compared to my stock steering box which took dump. cost for the used box 50$ - not bad at all, and a bigger / stronger box as well.

Well I'm guessing that's not your daily driver!!! I just measured my disco center tube. It is 6". With the sway bar relocation brackets, what size do I need to have the center tube at. Through RE it is either 8" or 10".

Could the rubbing be caused by the axle being pushed further foward from the top. I had to crank down my JKS all the way and the pass side noew rubs the tire at almost full crank. I have stock UCA's and was planing on adj UCA's anyway. Dos anyone know if they would help.

RE sells a bracket that moves the whole Sway bar forward an inch or two especially for that application.

You thought it was tough getting them on... just wait until you have to take your T-Case mount / skid off. When those 4 bolts come out, the brackets spring in tighter than a banjo string. The hardest thing I have ever done was to line up those holes again.

Here is a tip for all those with drop brackets and stiffeners. Tack weld them at the very end past the rear of the T-Case mount to the unibody. That way, if you ever have to take your T-Case out, they don't move.

Id first remove all the CAs.
Also, I'd have the drop brackets welded in place. Not full welds, but a few nice 2" beads here and there to make sure they don't move.

Adjustable lowers would be great, uppers too.
If you didn't replace all four, I'd do at least the lowers.

I ordered adjustable uppers thinking that would help the problem and run fixed lowers. I'm starting to second guess that choice.

Back