• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Cooler line O rings?

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
I'm adapting my AW4 trans cooler lines over to AN hose using --Earl's Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings 9919DFHERL

Everyone says these are O ring fittings on the metric side to the trans -- What size o rings? 14mm ID should be but what diameter is right? Are these really supposed to be used with O rings on the transmission? I'm not entirely sure...

O rings aren't sold with the adapter and they are not linked in the "suggested Parts" section of the adapter listing

Anyone have a part number from Summit racing for them? Been searching for an hour and I come up with nothing

Thanks for any help

I have never used o rings with the adapters.

IIRC i use a brass washer similar to what a brake line uses.

I did this same conversion a few years ago (using the same parts). I came across the following part on a few forums, used it & it is still sealed up great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RUSZ9G/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks about right -- now it's me being cheap -- $11.16 for 10 O rings when I only need 2...

I did a chat with summit earlier today -- Asked them what O rings to use

they came up with these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-176006erl/overview/

Says they are -6 an O rings -- I don't need them for the AN side of the fitting, trying to find specs on this ring, ID,OD and thickness

I'm wondering if -6an O rings would be 14mm ID -- and these are $3.95 for a pack of 10

What a PIA... -- you would think they would sell the O ring with the fitting when it's specified "O ring required"

SO had a chance to check some dimensions

-6an is 9/16 - 18 thread

9/16th is 14.28 MM so the -6an O rings should have an ID of somewhere really close to 14 mm

I have never used o rings with the adapters.

IIRC i use a brass washer similar to what a brake line uses.

I think my adapters came with o rings. My sending unit adapter came with a copper washer. I would not hesitate to use washers. Could go to parts store and just grab some copper or aluminum washers.

If you want to use an o-ring you can go down to NAPA with your part and they will help you find one. They have a box with 30 different sizes and sell out of it for 99 cents each.

I ended up adding the Viton O rings that are labeled -6an to my order -- it was $3.95 for a bag of 10

We'll see what happens once they get here

If these are wrong I will go to Napa either get a proper fitting O ring or copper washer

As expected those 14mm ID o-rings are way too big.

These things have to be tight against the bolt and the orifice in order to seal.

The one on the left is the stock o-ring from the temperature sensor port (14MM w/ T55 head). The one on the right are some that I bought from NAPA that are close-10MM ID x 2.5MM thickness = 15MM OD

AW4_Fluid_O_Rings.sized.jpg

This is what they look like on the 14mm x 1/8 NPT adapter bung and the AN fittings

AW4_Fluid_Fittings.sized.jpg

Snug on the bolt and on the orifice. A little big but they go in with some tranny fluid for lube

Parts came in -- O rings look fine -- I took pictures but have to find a new photo hosting website since the new photobucket restrictions

Ended up with EAR -176106ERL for O rings

The fit snug over the threads and just slightly loos when seated in place below the threads, Should work fine but I'll know better when I pull the current hardware out of the transmission

Suggestions for photo hosting websites???

Back