• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Limited "system sentry"

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
or whatever that lump of plastic on the ceiling between the visors is called...

Does it have a keyed-hot or constant-hot 12V wire up in there?

I had some ideas for dissection but won;t bother if there is no power in there

It should not have a power wire. It is only a reciever for the remote control. Probably only 2 20 ga wires If you need power up there you could tap off the domelight. I would not run anything to strong though. You could run a non lighted switch off it if you add a relay.

Yep,that's not the system sentry. The system sentry is was a rare option located on the dash. It looks like this:

xjdashsystemsentry.jpg

do you or anyone have pictures of all the sensors for the sentry i have never seen any seperate part designations for brake pads or anything

woody said:
or whatever that lump of plastic on the ceiling between the visors is called...

Does it have a keyed-hot or constant-hot 12V wire up in there?

I had some ideas for dissection but won;t bother if there is no power in there
That lump is just the receiver for the infra-red remote lock system. It has to be always hot, because it's supposed to activate the door locks when parked.

"System Sentry" was the collection of warning lights in the usually blank panel to the right of the steering wheel, below the clock. It was the optional system that had monitors for things like brake fluid level, coolant level, oil level (not pressure). I know it existed and I've read the description in the FSM but I have never seen a vehicle that actually had the system, so I think it was comparatively rare.

At a NAXJA run years back I saw a system sentry a guy had installed into his non-sentry XJ. Since the sensors and wiring would be a nightmare to retrofit he had the warning lights spliced into other existing warning light functions such as alt, oil pressure etc.
The idea was to give the appearance of a rare working XJ option. He said it was a great conversation piece (obviously as I talked his ear off).
I later found one that I was going to install in my 87 but I have now focused my attention on my 97. If anyone wants a the above pictured display, it's yours for 40 bucks.

Hey, never seen one of those before. Looks cool $40 too high for me right now. AX15 just went, picked one up for $200. Can go $20 but am sure someone will buy at your price.

Back