• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding a slight bend to an exhaust pipe

travisk

NAXJA Forum User
So I just added a Walker tailpipe and rear exhaust hanger to my XJ because the previous owner had cut it off.

The new pipe rubs against the shackle and the bottom of the bumper. I need to bend it out of the way by about an inch. Is there an easy way to do this?

normal_image~15.jpg

Smack it with a hammer lol

That looks like a new pipe, so hopefully it hasn't rusted itself tight to the muffler. If you loosen the clamps at both ends of the muffler, and rotate the muffler and pipes a little, you should be able to move the pipe to the side a little. While you are at it, cut about 2" off the end of the pipe. That is what will hit the rocks.

just cut the pipe before the bend and add a turndown there

Maybe it's a bad viewing angle. but the exhaust pipe hanger doesn't appear to be properly installed. I've used Walker exhaust parts many times through the years, and never had one, especially for our XJs, that didn't fit perfectly.

It's true that the bolt hole on the hanger doesn't line up just right, but the studs are still right in the OEM position. Everything is up against the frame attachments of the bumper, so it can't move inboard anyway.

The tailpipe just isn't perfectly compatible with the extended shackles and that big fat bumper. I can fix half of the problem by trimming the shackle.

If he cuts off 2" of the pipe won't that melt the bushing?

I doubt it, there is room there to just do a partial trim. But then he'll NEVER be able to use that hole, I'd keep that option open and leave the shackle as is.

just cut the pipe before the bend and add a turndown there

That's what I would do (read: that's what I did). I actually don't have a turndown per se, I just have an angle tip "resonator" (which doesn't really resonate)

Maybe it's a bad viewing angle. but the exhaust pipe hanger doesn't appear to be properly installed. I've used Walker exhaust parts many times through the years, and never had one, especially for our XJs, that didn't fit perfectly.

It's not a stock hanger, it's a universal one. Does look wonky. You may want to physically lift the tailpipe and then tighten up the hanger at the lifted height. If the hardware doesn't fit right, get creative with some alternate hardware.

Just have the exhaust tip come right off the muffler and toss the rest of the exhaust pipe that bends around your rear shock and gas tank out.. I have had this done to three of the XJs in out family with no issues.

Just have the exhaust tip come right off the muffler and toss the rest of the exhaust pipe that bends around your rear shock and gas tank out.. I have had this done to three of the XJs in out family with no issues.

not the best idea. most states wont accept this during a saftey/emissions inspection (i know alot of states dont do these) because of carbon monoxide poisoning and heat build-up under the vehicle.

I'd just get rid of the bend by the gas tank & have the pipe parallel to tank/frame/springs. I have the same pipe so have no problem visualizing the issue. If you get a long enough 2.25" turndown you can do it neatly w/ only one added clamp.

That's how I melted my gas tank.

not the best idea. most states wont accept this during a saftey/emissions inspection (i know alot of states dont do these) because of carbon monoxide poisoning and heat build-up under the vehicle.

Its only going to melt the tank or plastic guard on the tank if its pointed right at it, wont be an issue with the exhaust tip pointed down in front of the rear axle and I live in CA as well as the OP and I've never had an issue getting any of our three jeeps smogged with the exhaust like this.

The previous owner had cut it off at the muffler. It wasn't a problem until I drove up a 8,000 ft mountain.

I'm not really a fan of the turndown at the muffler either. It can give the muffler an irritating sound and it can kick up dust at idle/low speeds.

Back