• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking a knee

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
during the national anthem;
Whether I like it or not, I do like the first amendment.

Last edited:
Employee conduct rules often interfere with Constitutional rights.

You can say what you want on your own time and on your own property, but when you are on the clock you better mind who it is that is paying your salary.

Don't like the rules? Get another job.

I have no respect for these overpaid babies.

Don't like the rules? Get another job.

And THIS is where things will be interesting to watch.

Freedom of speech isn't always without its price. How much do you believe in what you are saying? Is it really important enough to you that you are willing make sacrifices for what you believe in? What is the convenience level of what you put up before you shut up? Lip service or true convictions?

I doubt the spoiled brats that hired the spoiled brats have what it takes to take care of business in house.

I think it will more be a matter of the public finding some other way to spend their time and money.

I realize that a lot of people think it's disrespectful for them to kneel, and that's fine. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, I'm sure most of those people also don't realize that Colin had decided to kneel based on a letter he received from a veteran. Before this letter he had simply sat out the anthem...and no one cared.

Why kneel? It's simply a common symbol of respect for a fallen soldier. I'm sure this isn't the first time most of you have seen something like this...

6ec08656f65e159f0f59f3135908ac7d--woodworking-patterns-woodworking-plans.jpg

Most of my friends that have said "No more NFL for me!", are also those whom have fallen for the 2 party narrative. Liberal VS Conservative, Dem VS Repub, red VS blue...blah blah blah. Those that have already fallen for the trap that is killing our country. To be so enraged that someone who is on the front stage to peacefully and quietly try to start conversation... I simply don't understand. My only conclusion for this, is ignorance. Not stupidity, not racism, not entitlement, or whatever other reason you could think of. These people (on both sides of the crazy spectrum) simply don't know the whole story, don't walk in the same shoes, or simply fail to realize that other's have different perspectives.

Instead of protesting because someone's protesting... attempt to learn. Inform yourself. Learn about the fact that gentrification is real. Learn that people have been killed by the same people that have sworn to protect them, for absolutely no reason other than being trigger happy. Learn that these police are almost never held to the same standards set by the the same constitution that they've sworn too. This isn't some conspiracy theory. This is the life that many are living every day. Obviously this is not to say that all police are at fault, which is FAR from the truth. It's simply the fact that these few are still allowed to walk the streets while the public, as well as the law would label them a murderer. A criminal is a criminal.

So you have a choice. Either inform yourself, or be pissed that some guy on the TV is kneeling instead of standing like all the other good soldiers. It's really that simple. One choice will lead to the truth, while the other will lead to burning your possessions (which you spent $ on BTW).

So you've chose to be pissed? Try being pissed about the Military Industrial Complex stealing roughly 1 Trillion dollars of tax payer's $... every year. That's a good start.

Flame suit engaged. :wave1:

I'm not going to boycott NFL football over this. As far as I'm concerned the players have a right to make any statement they want. What the league does in house will be interesting to watch purely out of curiosity.

As to the actual facts of the matter the sensationalistic media is the last place one should look. In my opinion the initial message has been lost to a media fed us vs them standoff.

As to the actual facts of the matter the sensationalistic media is the last place one should look. In my opinion the initial message has been lost to a media fed us vs them standoff.

Absolutely. The internet has given us so much information while both truthful and untruthful, that it's sometimes hard to digest. However, finding the truth is easily possible if one takes the time to sift through all the BS and corroborate the information they are getting.

As for the trendy saying "Fake News"... I'd simply tell anyone to look up the quotes given by previous CIA directors. In other words, the strings are being pulled and always have, at least in terms of the major news networks. Anything that comes from them should be held as a grain of salt.

So you have a choice. Either inform yourself, or be pissed that some guy on the TV is kneeling instead of standing like all the other good soldiers. It's really that simple. One choice will lead to the truth, while the other will lead to burning your possessions (which you spent $ on BTW).

The same arguement could easily be made for the supporters of kneeling also.
People by nature are all to ready to accept hyperbole, drama, and use an emotional reponse about a subject rather than look at actual cases, facts, and figures to make an informed decision.

The same arguement could easily be made for the supporters of kneeling also.
People by nature are all to ready to accept hyperbole, drama, and use an emotional reponse about a subject rather than look at actual cases, facts, and figures to make an informed decision.

No argument here. :thumbup:

I realize that a lot of people think it's disrespectful for them to kneel, and that's fine. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, I'm sure most of those people also don't realize that Colin had decided to kneel based on a letter he received from a veteran. Before this letter he had simply sat out the anthem...and no one cared.

Why kneel? It's simply a common symbol of respect for a fallen soldier. I'm sure this isn't the first time most of you have seen something like this...

6ec08656f65e159f0f59f3135908ac7d--woodworking-patterns-woodworking-plans.jpg

If I thought they were kneeling out of respect for the flag it would be another matter entirely. But that does not seem to be the message they are sending.

Their message seems to be more about an unwillingness to accept the flag as a symbol of honor and pride. It should also be noted that in many cases this seems to be in keeping with their behavior in other parts of their lives as well. The NFL is on track to be as much a culture of thugs as the NBA. Far too many of these athletes use their money and fame as nothing more than a license to see how much they can get away with. The flag looks like one more way in which they are thumbing their noses at society in general. The flag is simply a tipping point for many folks in the audience.

However, I'm sure most of those people also don't realize that Colin had decided to kneel based on a letter he received from a veteran. Before this letter he had simply sat out the anthem...and no one cared.

Please post your source for this. I haven't ONCE seen a single piece of media showing that this is Colin Kaepernick's stance or reason. It can't be the SINGLE reason for his actions because there's plenty of media showing him saying his actions are based on his racially swayed beliefs. Yes, we can all understand that the race card part gets media attention..... but if I were Kaepernick and all this heat/attention were drawing the wrong message, I'd be incredibly vocal to set the record straight. If he's not gonna hold firm that he's being misinterpreted...... then he's no better than the rest of the race card waving media whores.

If Kaepernick did defend his actions for this reason, I'd be more inclined to support the action. But I'd tend to believe if he ever publicly did say this was the reason, it was likely early on and in an attempt to displace the heat he had been receiving.

Last edited:
Please post your source for this. I haven't ONCE seen a single piece of media showing that this is Colin Kaepernick's stance or reason. It can't be the SINGLE reason for his actions because there's plenty of media showing him saying his actions are based on his racially swayed beliefs. Yes, we can all understand that the race card part gets media attention..... but if I were Kaepernick and all this heat/attention were drawing the wrong message, I'd be incredibly vocal to set the record straight. If he's not gonna hold firm that he's being misinterpreted...... then he's no better than the rest of the race card waving media whores.

If Kaepernick did defend his actions for this reason, I'd be more inclined to support the action. But I'd tend to believe if he ever publicly did say this was the reason, it was likely early on and in an attempt to displace the heat he had been receiving.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the 'reason' he was kneeling was out of respect for the flag if that's what your thinking. I'm saying that his decision to kneel instead of sitting it out seems to have been derived from his conversations with Eric Reid, and Nate Boyer (the vet) as to still make an impact but on a level which would still respect those in the military.

My sources:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/colin-kaepernick-football-protests.html

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-boyer-writes-open-letter-to-colin-kaepernick

If I thought they were kneeling out of respect for the flag it would be another matter entirely. But that does not seem to be the message they are sending.

Their message seems to be more about an unwillingness to accept the flag as a symbol of honor and pride. It should also be noted that in many cases this seems to be in keeping with their behavior in other parts of their lives as well. The NFL is on track to be as much a culture of thugs as the NBA. Far too many of these athletes use their money and fame as nothing more than a license to see how much they can get away with. The flag looks like one more way in which they are thumbing their noses at society in general. The flag is simply a tipping point for many folks in the audience.

I think there needs to be a distinction between, the message one think's they are sending VS the message they are trying to get across. If all you can see is a guy kneeling for the flag, I think most people would agree that it looks disrespectful (me included). If read into a little more, some (not all) may choose to change their mind.

To be honest, I don't watch football, or basketball... or really any other sport other than racing. So on that level I could be biased, I get that. I'm sure a lot of them do stupid shit, but after all... most of them are getting million dollar contracts right out of high school. Put the two together and it's obvious that there's going to be some drama.

From an outsider looking in, it simply seems like the narrative from the angry fans are "shut up and entertain me. I don't want to listen to what your trying to say, I just want to watch some dudes hit some other dudes."

One argument I keep hearing is that "they can simply use social media or other platforms to share their feelings". Well you have to admit... I don't think we'd be sitting here having this conversation if he posted up his thoughts on face tube.

For me at the end of the day, I simply get fed up with people wasting their energy at nonsensical issues, yet at the same time not giving 2 cents about the things that actually affect their lives.

BTW, I'm not trying to persuade anyone here to join my bandwagon. Just simply sharing my point of view. I still love you fellas. :cheers:

I think what Troy said is right, CK may be back pedaling to try take some heat off of himself.

In his earliest interviews, he does not mention any Vets he spoke to. He clearly says:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

This is from here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ck-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem

You never hear about Kaepernick's cummunity involvment or the time and money he has spent on the "Know your Rights" movement,classes and seminars.

Which IMO does not justify his actions but it does validate his stance on the matter. If you want to unify you should not alienate.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game.

This is easy enough to solve. Just end all welfare programs. And tell them we are doing this on account of all the kneelers.

Imagine the inner city celebrations.

I think what Troy said is right, CK may be back pedaling to try take some heat off of himself.

In his earliest interviews, he does not mention any Vets he spoke to. He clearly says:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

This is from here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ck-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem

Again, his decision to kneel instead of sit out the anthem was from his two conversations mentioned above. That's all I'm saying.

As for what he mentioned above... I agree with him 100%.

Police and those in the military all have sworn an oath to the constitution. And the constitution has been broken in these cases.

Example:

A policeman shoots a man inside his car as he's reaching for his wallet literally right after asking him for his license and registration. The cop thought he was reaching for a gun. The man dies. His wife and his kid were in the car. Just think about the long term affects that this is going to have on not only them, but the community. The cop goes to court, but he walks. Not as so much as a slap on the wrist.

Meanwhile our country has people serving life sentences for pot possession?

To me, that is a case of a broken constitution.

Example:

A policeman shoots a man inside his car as he's reaching for his wallet literally right after asking him for his license and registration. The cop thought he was reaching for a gun. The man dies. His wife and his kid were in the car. Just think about the long term affects that this is going to have on not only them, but the community. The cop goes to court, but he walks. Not as so much as a slap on the wrist.

Meanwhile our country has people serving life sentences for pot possession?

The fix for these are simple: Don't break the law.

Last edited:
Back