• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head swap: rocker arm wiggle and what else to look for?

Mcmadman

NAXJA Forum User
Did some searching and cpuldnt come up with a lot... a cpuple of my rockers can wiggle side to side quite a bit. There is also a nice little rust line on the pushrods is this terrible? Id like to button this up asap but dont want to leave something slop.

I'm considering a head swap too. My machinist says I can save a few bucks buy cleaning the head myself, and if I pull the valves, they'll be able to see more area when they magnaflux.

In other words, you should have your replacement magnafluxed to check for cracks.

Check the valve stem clearance. If it is too loose, NEVER knurl the guides. Pay a few bucks per valve and have the head reamed and bronze inserts installed. Knurling will last around 10K miles then goes crappy way worse than you started with.

Check the valve stem clearance. If it is too loose, NEVER knurl the guides. Pay a few bucks per valve and have the head reamed and bronze inserts installed. Knurling will last around 10K miles then goes crappy way worse than you started with.

My machinist doesn't even offer knurling as a service anymore for the very reason you stated. In other heads (I build lots of different engines) I've had guides replaced instead.

My machinist doesn't even offer knurling as a service anymore for the very reason you stated. In other heads (I build lots of different engines) I've had guides replaced instead.

Nice to see someone else understands what they are doing.:yelclap:

Back