• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high pressure oil pump for Jeep

atowley

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm looking to up the oil pressure in my 93 Jeep 4 litre. Anybody know who makes a high pressure pump? thanks for the help.

Why?

The stock pump works for 150-200,000 miles on most 4.0L engines

Yucca-Man said:
Why?

what he said...I got 113k on mine and it still pushes 55-60 lbs running at 70-75MPH.

You need more than that???

In my thinking, more pressure internally means more leakage externally...I don't need any more reasons for the haters around here to mess with my rig.

Nobody makes a high pressure pump for the 4.0L that I'm aware of. Melling makes a high volume pump, but that's not what you're asking.

My '88 is at 245,000 miles and I still have good oil pressure with the original pump. I don't think you need a high pressure pump -- I think you need to replace the rod bearings.

Yucca-Man said:
In my thinking, more pressure internally means more leakage externally...I don't need any more reasons for the haters around here to mess with my rig.

Thinking the same. Something somewhere is bound to give...can't for the life of me figure out whats wrong with 50lbs of pressure. Never seen a oil related problem with motors like that...

atowley said:
Hey guys, I'm looking to up the oil pressure in my 93 Jeep 4 litre. Anybody know who makes a high pressure pump? thanks for the help.

What Eagle said. If you have worn rod/main bearings, the oil pressure will be low particularly when the engine's hot and at idle. What oil pressures are you running cold/hot?
If there's no knocking from the bottom end but the oil pressure's lowish, you could try a thicker grade of oil.

Yucca-Man said:
Why?

More like 300,000+ miles. I don't think I've ever heard of a stock oil pump needing replacement in a 4.0. I have seen pics of a broken high volume pump, aparently the shaft isn't as strong or something like that. Atowley - what is your current oil pressure? It's EXTREMELY common to have a bad oil pressure sender on this engine, so even if you're reading low it might just be that.

That's much too low. Try to get hold of a mechanical gauge to check the oil pressures. If those readings are confirmed, you'd better get ready to replace worn rod/main bearings.

atowley said:
7 at idle, goes up to maybe 25 or so at speed.

That's pretty low. I'm running similar pressures with a new Long Block that's a year old. The dealership put it in and it's under warrenty, but they say that range is fine. Just seems wrong to me...

Use a mechanical gague to make sure those are right before doing anything else. You'll definately need to do something if they really are that low.

KingA said:
The dealership put it in and it's under warrenty, but they say that range is fine.

Go back and bitch until they give you another engine. That range is NOT fine, as defined in the chrysler service manual. If it actually is that low, the engine will have a very short life.

Back