• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Bolt Hole... STRIPPED?!?!

xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
The transmission mount bolt hole on the transmission's passanger side has stripped. This is for one of the two bolts that secure the mount to the transmission (not to the crossmember). The bolt hole is actually in the transmission.

Is any one familiar with the repair options for this malady?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

87 XJ Wagoneer: 4.0, Auto, NP242

Sounds like a good place for a helicoil.

HeliCoils have a fairly complex selection process. Would anyone know which HeliCoil to use?

My 2-thoughts...

-1- Remove the one remaining bolt; get a HeliCoil kit for that size - since you'll redrill and re-tap the tranny hole all should be good ...

- 2- Evaluate the amount of material surrounding the stripped hole; if there is ample material (if not see thought 1), remove the one remaining bolt; get a HeliCoil kit for the next larger size at roughly the same thread pitch (like don't go coarse if it's fine or whatever) - you'll redrill the hole larger and re-tap all should be good with a bit more area to hang on to.

Can I use a helicoil which fits into the existing threads, then use a smaller bolt to hold everything in place? I have reservations toward drilling. Removing material from that area may prove to be cataclysmic.

Helicoil info

Helicoils don't work that way. Each size comes with a special tap that is made for the pitch of the outside of the coil. when installed the inside thread pitch of the coil should be the actual size of the original bolt. In other words the inde pitch is a standard pitch but the ouside is not and you need to use the tap that comes with the kit.

Ed

So, it looks as though I'll be drilling. Is there a simple method for determining thread size, etc. for the helicoil kit? The bolt is stamped "8.9".

xjwoody said:
So, it looks as though I'll be drilling. Is there a simple method for determining thread size, etc. for the helicoil kit? The bolt is stamped "8.9".

Well, at least you know you'll be looking for something in metric.... Best method is to go to a real hardware store where they have bolts and nuts - take the bolt with you and find the nut that fits it --(test several to ensure that the one that you found is in the right bin -- that'll be your size and pitch)

bolt

That 8.9 is a hardness stamp for a metric. US stuff has tick marks (add 2 to get the hardness ex. 3ticks is grade 5 etc. A good bolt house can measure the bolt and thread pitch and should be able to get the helicoil kit for you as well. You will spend $30-$50 for the kit so if you can borrow one it is a good idea. In metric the normal hardness scale is... 8.8 approx grade 5, 10.9 which is approx grade 8. and 12.9 which will will find on the socket heads(allen drive) bolts. If you have problems finding a good bolt house in your area look up Fastenal in the phone book.

Ed

Yeah, the 8.9 is a grade indicator, not a size. Most metrics fall fairly close to an SAE size, so since yoiu'll be drilling and tapping for a helicoil anyway, just select the nearest SAE size. For example, I ran short on leaf spring mounting bolts yesterday. The factory bolts are 14mm. A 9/16" SAE bolt is about 0.011 larger -- makes a tighter fit, but it will go through the sleeve in the bushing.

Going from memory of the last time I played under an XJ tranny, I'd guess the bolts are either 10mm or 12 mm -- probably 10. Just mike the outside diameter of the threaded portion and round off the the nearest SAE equivalent.

Back