• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Adapter Bolt Hole Stripped (On Block)

KelticTJ

NAXJA Forum User
I posted this in Tech but thought I might get a better response with the local guys.

Well I was doing the infamous O ring replacement on the oil filter adapter. I got the bolt to break free pretty easily and got the adapter out. Now for putting it back on.....The bolt that goes into the block seems to be rounded out at the tip so I got a new bolt. Now I'm almost positive the threads on the block are stripped, the new bolt won't thread in at all. What is the best way to go about doing this? This has really turned into a PITA. Thanks all

Here's a pic of the original bolt and bolt hole for reference. Looks like its just the first couple of threads.

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

Where in Denver do you live?

What I see is, a minimum thread engagement. The starting threads in the block are likely worn down from the hollow bolt moving around in the hole.

Where in Denver do you live?

What I see is, a minimum thread engagement. The starting threads in the block are likely worn down from the hollow bolt moving around in the hole.

Ya that's basically what it is. Should I try getting a die in there? Not sure what the best way to go about it is. I'm near Sunnyside, 38th and Tejon St

Unless the threads in the block are crossed, or have material stuck in the root of the thread, I don't see any benefit in running a tap through the hole.

IMG_0710.jpg

I was hoping to get out and help hatchbox. I might be able to swing by and have a look.

Just an update, Mike (Hypoid) was kind enough to come over and help me out. We had to run a tap through the hole and it was good to go after that. A BIG thanks to Mike for making the trip from Golden to lend a hand, even in the snow. It was great to meet a fellow NAXJA member.

Also, the replacement bolt I got from Jeep doesn't have a second O ring. The bolts are identical besides the O ring and the tech at Jeep said that was fine, part number matches too. Anyone seen that before?

IMG_0711%202.jpg

Never seen a new bolt until just now. I did mine back in 06 and reused the original bolt. The only issue I had was getting the damn thing broke free in the first place. After that it was gravy...

Not seen that bolt/adapter before. What size thread tap was used on those threads? 18mm or standard? Also thread pitch? On an off subject I was in the LoHi area another day, and passed Paxia restaurant. Good food?

I believe it was 18mm but Hypoid would know better than me, it was his tap. Paxia is good food. A little pricey but good. La Loma is down the street too and has the best green chile I've had in Denver and their portions are good for the price, although I used to be the AGM there so I'm a little biased.

The block is tapped with a 3/4-16.

Back