• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle body vs. throttle body spacer

HolsanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was wonder what everybodys thought's were to a throttle body is it really worth the money or is just saving all the money and buying the spacer the way to go? What is the diffrence in performance between the two?

Thanks

dunno, I bought 62 mm throttle body & a poweraid spacer off of e-bay. When I got them, discovered spacer was stock bore so left it off. Love the performance of the 62mm, though.

HolsanXJ said:
I was wonder what everybody's thought's were to a throttle body is it really worth the money or is just saving all the money and buying the spacer the way to go? What is the difference in performance between the two?

Thanks

The benefit of a TB spacer is debatable. On the 99+ it may give 2 - 3 HP. Older ones may see less. A bored TB is a true gain of HP and also changes the torque curve. I added a 60MM bored TB to my 2000 and would say I got maybe 8 - 10 HP. What I really got was faster response to the gas pedal. From a dead stop it now jumps off the line. With the AW4 automatic tranny the motor pulls harder to a higher RPM before it shifts up and it will downshift much faster on the highway and on the city streets. You will get the best performance from a bored TB with a catback exhaust and a K&N style filter.

I have a 60mm bored TB for sale if you are interested, PM me for details.

i put a 62 mm TB spacer on my 97(did not have the guts to bore the TB out yet) and wow, it made a very very big difference. I did not dyno it, but for the $40 spent on ebay, it was the largest seat of the pants difference i could have made.

I went ahead and put on a rustys air tube, k&n, hiflow cat and a flomaster to top it off, and it made that 150K jeep act better than a new one. You punch it, and it is there NOW, it did not do a lot for the top end, but the low end was very noticable.

so the plate is already 60mm
so i can lay the whole thing to 60mm all the way
and still use the same plate?

i have all the machines need it at school just dont want to screw it up

Not sure if you've read it or not, but GoJeep has an exellent write up.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTBboring.htm

I ran out of time and didn't get to bore, but I did add a spacer. Gave a little better throttle response, really noticable with a K&N and catback flowmaster. Be prepared for the possibility of a throttle whistle, though.

I have had a throttle-body spacer (62mm) on my '93 for a year or two now and noticed slightly better mileage and slightly better power when I put it on. I have a glasspack with a high flow-cat and aftermarket exhaust 2.25 all the way back, & a K&N drop-in filter with extra holes drilled in the stock air box. This week I just put on a 62mm throttle body (bored with a new throttle plate) and it actually feels like less low-end power and maybe less power overall. It might rev up faster, not sure. Can anybody explain this? I didn't reset the computer, but I never have on any previous changes either and it hasn't been a problem.

A bored throttle body works the best with a smooth bore spacer. If your spacer has those damn swirls, I would highly suggest boring them out to 62mm.

I would reset your computer also.

I have a 60mm TB and a cheapo Ebay spacer. It *seems* to have made an improvement in throttle response and maybe MPG, but Ive never done any type of research on it. I didn't care to as the TB was $50 and the spacer was $30, so I wrote them off as feel good mods (along with my CAI).

I got myself one of them spacers on an '01. Snake oil. I tried to tell myself that I could notice a small power increase, but I think the only thing it added was an annoying whistle and certian load/rpm combinations. If you are going to do one or the other, go with the bored throttle body all the way!

My spacer is smooth bore 62mm, and it has never whistled. I verified the slight mpg gains since I calculate my gas mileage each and every tank. The throttle body has been on for about 50-70 miles now. It idles smooth and runs fine, but doesn't feel more powerful on takeoff at all, maybe even less, not sure. Would it have been better to put on a 60mm instead of a 62mm so I didn't lose the air velocity?

I'll try that. What do you do, disconnect the negative battery cable and turn the ignition to the on position?

Back