• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers! what ya running and why?

I've been thinking about the direction I want to go offroad and how long I'd be on a xj platform. For me its mostly the wrong platform. It's weak no frame and a shit ton of useless sheet metal.
So from hear on out things need to be able grow from the xj to another foundation.

No idea where im going with this, but its fun and most all worth it till its not

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My xj is a daily driver that I use to do light towing and 4 wheel drive roads usually to get to places to do stuff... Defenitly more road than off road and no mudding... I went eaton true track in a Chrysler 8.25 on the rear with an ox on the front hp Dana 30 with 33s, the true track is nearly bullet proof and works great in all conditions except rock crawling when you get a rear tire off the ground... If that's the case, lock in the ox and it'll get you back to where all 4 are touching and you've got full power back. The true track also allows for better cornering/tighter turn in the rocks and loose material which is going to be a lot more common for my use than needing any kind of true locker in the rear.

I've never liked the real world function or even the designed function of lunchbox lockers so they weren't ever a real option for me...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Yukon Grizzly because 8260 and YES plan and they’re cool. It’s like a lunchbox locker on PCP and steroids combined.

f3029a45b4c5655b11c22b4d7a7d2885.jpg

I am running Spartan lockers front and rear on my XJ. I did find when I put locker in the front I did not care for the way it drove around town. I put manual hubs on the front and think it drive better than ever around town now. I am doing a 99 Durango build next and think I will put a Grizzly locker in the rear only on it.

I am running Spartan lockers front and rear on my XJ. I did find when I put locker in the front I did not care for the way it drove around town. I put manual hubs on the front and think it drive better than ever around town now. I am doing a 99 Durango build next and think I will put a Grizzly locker in the rear only on it.

hmm.... didn't notice my front locker at all in 2wd. free wheeled when it was supposed to.

I've been thinking about the direction I want to go offroad and how long I'd be on a xj platform. For me its mostly the wrong platform. It's weak no frame and a shit ton of useless sheet metal.
So from hear on out things need to be able grow from the xj to another foundation.

No idea where im going with this, but its fun and most all worth it till its not

same. anyone that's really building a rig eventually comes to this conclusion. the amount of money and time needed to make an XJ really work and not fall apart is insane. They're great for slapping some MT's on 'em and doing some exploring in 4x4, but if you're crawling it, it's the wrong platform.

With XJ prices getting frothy, i've thought of doing the same. although likely sell the complete rig and start over, although I know I'll never get my money out of it.

My xj is a daily driver that I use to do light towing and 4 wheel drive roads usually to get to places to do stuff... Defenitly more road than off road and no mudding... I went eaton true track in a Chrysler 8.25 on the rear with an ox on the front hp Dana 30 with 33s,

If you don't mind me asking, did you re-gear and if so, what ratio?

I dont notice my grizzly on the street in my front

Ice been eyeing my ford more and more. Also notice my next xj purchases will likely be made sure to swap over to the ford.

Or I call it quits now call the xj good and start on the ford.

Rip both axles gear down some super duty axles and go to link town on fox or ori

Wheel the xj while the fords in surgery

Back