• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kickdown cable issue

In_da_middle77

NAXJA Forum User
New member here, but certainly not new to Jeeps. Anyway.....Hi. Just purchased another Jeep....an '01 XJ, 4.0L, AW4 auto, 4x4. Was trying to remove the cables from the throttle body (tb) in order to remove the valve cover and gasket (to fix the typical oil leak). I broke the cheap little plastic end off the cable...that attaches to the tb throttle arm. Two questions:

Can it be harmful to anything to drive around town with the cable detached, until I can get cable replaced?

Should the new cable (an OEM Mopar part from the CDJ dealership parts dept.) come pre-adjusted? If not, how do I properly adjust it for my Jeep?

Last edited:
The cable to the transmission is not a "kick down" as some believe. It is the TV, or the "Throttle Valve" cable. This lets the transmission know how much throttle is being applied and controls much more than what gear the transmission wants. It's primary function is to modulate the line pressure in the transmission for the clutches and brakes.

IMO, not really safe to operate the transmission with the cable disconnected and, for that matter, if the cable is maladjusted, shifting issues will occur.

The replacement part will not be pre-adjusted and the transmission will have to be opened up in order to replace the cable as is is attached to the Throttle Valve Cam which is an internal part.

If you are not comfortable with cracking open your transmission, then I suggest that you have the part installed.

Replacement Procedure for the TV Cable:
Removal
1) In engine compartment, disconnect cab;e from throttle linkage. Then compress cable mounting ears and remove cable from the engine bracket.
2) Raise vehicle.
3) Remove transmission oil pan.
4) Disengage cable from throttle valve cam.
5) Remove cable bracket bolt and remove cable and bracket form transmission case.
6) Remove and discard cable seal.

Installation
1) Lubricate and install new seal on cable.
2) Insert cable in transmission case.
3) Attach cable to throttle cam.
4) Install cable bracket on case and tighten attaching bolt to 10Nm (7ftlbs) torque.
5) Install pan and tighten pan bolts to 7Nm (65inlbs) torque.
6) Connect cable to engine bracket and throttle linkage.
7) Fill tranmsission with Mopar Dexron/Mercon IIE.
8) Adjust cable as described in cable adjustment procedure.

Adjustment Procedure for the TV Cable:
1) Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
2) Remove air cleaner if necessary.
3) Disconnect cable end from attachment stud. Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pry or pull cable off.
4) Verify that transmission throttle lever is in the fully closed position. Then, be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
5) Insert a small screwdriver under edge of retaining clip and remove retaining clip.
6) Center cable end on attachment stud to within 1mm (0.039").
7) Install retaining clip onto cable housing.
8) Check cable adjustment. Verify transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously.

It's not a hard job. Once you get the transmission pan off, you will see how the cable attaches. You will get ATF on your face:)

3) Disconnect cable end from attachment stud. Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pry or pull cable off.
4) Verify that transmission throttle lever is in the fully closed position. Then, be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
5) Insert a small screwdriver under edge of retaining clip and remove retaining clip.
6) Center cable end on attachment stud to within 1mm (0.039").
7) Install retaining clip onto cable housing.
8) Check cable adjustment. Verify transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously.

I had figured out everything up to this point (3) above in the Adjustment Procedures. I'm not certain I know what you mean by (3). What stud? The cable comes apart near the end that attaches to the TB? How do you check that the TB is at curb idle position? What retaining clip? Any one have a writeup, or pics, of this procedure?

This is the attachment point at the Throttle Body Linkage. It slides off of the stud. Most common error is to attempt to pop it off like the foot feed cable. Pretty much guarantees to break the cable end...

TB linkage at curb idle. If all of the cables are detached, just cycle that linkage and feel that there is no motion towards the closed position.

This procedure is verbatim out of the FSM. If you do not have a manual, you might want to think about getting one.

The clip is located at the cable end where it attaches to the engine bracket. You may want to consider getting some help from a local member on this.

This is the attachment point at the Throttle Body Linkage. It slides off of the stud. Most common error is to attempt to pop it off like the foot feed cable. Pretty much guarantees to break the cable end...

This is what I broke, the little black plastic piece that attaches to the nailhead-shaped "knob" on the TB arm.

TB linkage at curb idle. If all of the cables are detached, just cycle that linkage and feel that there is no motion towards the closed position.

You have me totally lost here.

TThis procedure is verbatim out of the FSM. If you do not have a manual, you might want to think about getting one.

The clip is located at the cable end where it attaches to the engine bracket. You may want to consider getting some help from a local member on this.

Again, lost here. Is there anyone on here that has broken this little black piece on the end of the TV cable, and jury-rigged it to work?

The directions above are not for an AW4. That is the adjustment procedure for a chrysler transmission. 30RE, 42RE, 44RE, 46RE, etc.

For the AW4 you simple push the button in, hold it and slide the cable housing away from the throttle body. Release button. Floor the pedal with the engine off and it will self adjust.

The directions above are not for an AW4. That is the adjustment procedure for a chrysler transmission. 30RE, 42RE, 44RE, 46RE, etc.

For the AW4 you simple push the button in, hold it and slide the cable housing away from the throttle body. Release button. Floor the pedal with the engine off and it will self adjust.

TY Talyn...that makes more sense. Maybe he thought I had a TJ (in which case it would in fact be a 42RE)?

Below is a link to a replacement clip that simply slides onto existing cable.
Works great on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L, took about 5 min to install if you include crushing the old one up to take it off. Should fit other models/years with the 4.0L just look at the clip and see if it is a match for your broken one.
Modeled after the original that broke on my jeep. Didn't want to install a new cable for something so small and seemingly easy to fix....

http://www.shapeways.com/product/V9...-valve-clip?li=productGroup&optionId=55648168

This is what I broke, the little black plastic piece that attaches to the nailhead-shaped "knob" on the TB arm.

You have me totally lost here.

Again, lost here. Is there anyone on here that has broken this little black piece on the end of the TV cable, and jury-rigged it to work?

Yes, I had a broken one that I did not see until I got everything put back together. I used a Dremel tool to cut off the small metal stop clamped on the end. Slid the broken one off and slid a good one on off an old cable from the pull a part yard. Then I clamped a crimp on wire connector back on the end of the cable. So far so good. Adjusted it and it has worked fine for the last three months.

Below is a link to a replacement clip that simply slides onto existing cable.
Works great on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L, took about 5 min to install if you include crushing the old one up to take it off. Should fit other models/years with the 4.0L just look at the clip and see if it is a match for your broken one.
Modeled after the original that broke on my jeep. Didn't want to install a new cable for something so small and seemingly easy to fix....:sunshine:

http://shpws.me/F0rh

625x465_3069935_9020218_1433026774.jpg

625x465_3069935_9019634_1433026731.jpg

625x465_3069935_10636126_1433026731.jpg

For a shorter style for older jeeps? Try this clip http://shpws.me/H32m

625x465_3303708_10454536_1433027587.jpg

625x465_3303708_10636220_1433027521.jpg

625x465_3303708_10636317_1433027521.jpg

For a shorter style for older jeeps? Try this clip http://shpws.me/H32m

My 2001's twin mini-cats have cooked the throttle and transmission cable's clips, making them brittle and easy to break.
I wonder what type of plastic are the clips made from?
Digital printers use a wide variety of plastics, many without the needed strength or heat resistance needed for the engine bay's hot operating environment.

Not sure what mini-cats are, but these clips have been going strong on my stock Jeep 4.0 for about 6months now. Material used is Strong and Flexible plastic (flexible if they are of the right thickness) these clips do not flex. From the Shapeways website: "Strong & Flexible plastics are heatproof to 80℃ / 176℉ degrees." If heat is an issue for you, have a couple on hand to change out whenever, can also try out one of the metal materials. Have not tried the metal yet and would be interested to hear how it works out for ya. On the site, there is a selector for material.....look for the first to try section. If you have issues with it you'll probably have to get your grinder involved, let me know! Have a good one!

Not sure what mini-cats are, From the Shapeways website: "Strong & Flexible plastics are heatproof to 80℃ / 176℉ degrees."

2001 and some 2000 XJs have a pair of small catalytic converters mounted on the exhaust manifold.
http://b.cdnbrm.com/images/products/schem/eastern_catalytic/large/eastern_catalytic_20390.jpg
They cook everything above them, including the throttle clips.

The 176 degree maximum limit is going to be way too low for long term durability.
What is the temperature limit for the metal material?

Back