• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tools to take with you

when you are going to the junkyard? What are some of the things that you look for when you are looking through the yard?

Translation:

I found this cool junk yard with several XJs in it.
I'm thinking of gettings parts and selling them to suckers like you on naxja and on ebay.
However, I have no idea what parts I should be pulling.
So I started this thread so you can tell me what to get. :D

...or something like that.

I'm thinking (judging by the title) he's looking to build a junkyard tool kit. Not actually asking about what parts to pull.

Translation:

I found this cool junk yard with several XJs in it.
I'm thinking of gettings parts and selling them to suckers like you on naxja and on ebay.
However, I have no idea what parts I should be pulling.
So I started this thread so you can tell me what to get. :D

...or something like that.

Easy Sherlock :smoker: , I know all you want to do is pounce on post whores and be the first to apply your wit. I have some money, I wanna go to a junkyard and look through the yard. I just want to know, from everyone else experience, what tools they needed when looking for parts.

Hallo. I missed always a plier cutter.
Most parts are with a harness and you can't reach the connectors. :laugh2:

'92 XJ

A pair of these?

diagonal_cut_pliers.jpg

Easy Sherlock :smoker: , I know all you want to do is pounce on post whores and be the first to apply your wit. I have some money, I wanna go to a junkyard and look through the yard. I just want to know, from everyone else experience, what tools they needed when looking for parts.

"Pounce on post whores?"

At 30 posts, I'd hardly call you a post whore.
More like a eager beaver newbie. WELCOME! :wave:

Tools to take?
It depends on what you need.
It also depends on the rules of the yard.

I usually know what part I need and I've worked on enough XJs to already know what tools to take for the job.

However, if you're just going to be grazing for parts, I would take:
1) A ratchet with a set about 20 various SAE and metric sockets,
2) Extensions & universals for your ratchet
2) Flat and phillips screwdrivers,
3) Adjustable wrench or two.
4) Hammer
5) Pliers - needle nose, standard, & vise grips.
6) Cutters
7) Set of torx bits
8) Utility knife
9) Tire iron, or something to pry with
10) English-Spanish dictionary (So you can ask Jose if you can borrow a tool.) :D

Just going to graze. I am all set on playing the game for luxury of a new vehicle every time you pay one off. The Cherokee seems to be a platform that is rather reliable. Not to mention somewhat simple to work and diagnose problems. I live where 4wd are more common than 2wd, simply for the reason that you are stuck in the winters without 4wd.

An impact driver and a can of penetrating oil will save a lot of grief. An impact driver with a good set of tips and sockets can dislodge many screws and nuts that are otherwise nearly impossible to get out.
Nothing worse than working for a half hour on some part and then stripping off the last nut or screw.

I always bring a large (1 1/4 ish) box end wrench. It makes a great offset breaker bar. Just gotta be careful to keep it lined up straight with the other wrench/ratchet. Not a bad hammer either.

I have the makita lithium one and its awesome.

Back