• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cordless Power Tools- What do you like?

hubs97xj

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to replace my well-used cordless drills, and I'm eying the newer Lithium-Ion whatever battery style. I'm looking for a drill, impact driver, two batts, charger, case/bag. Don't need much in the way of accessories, although lines/brands that let you use additional tools with the same batts could be handy.

Like to hear some feedback from real people. My BIL uses a beefier LI Milwaukee kit (28V, I think) at work (plumbing/HVAC outfit) that he speaks highly of, but I don't know anyone else personally who uses anything but Craftsman, DeWalt, or B&D, with the older Ni-Cad batteries. Any thoughts on cordless tools? What's been horrible, what's been great, how's battery life, etc?

Thanks for your input.

I think Skill and Dewalt are both engineered by Bosch now. Don't really know about the newer stuff much, but had a Skill NiCad that refused to die for decades. Outlasted everything else two to one, probably just an accidentally good batch or something.
I generally stick with Bosch now, mid range with as few electronics (bells and whistles) as possible. Though a good torque adjustment is really handy.
Matulka is what most of the professionals are using around here.

My dad loves his 18v Dewalt stuff. I have an 18v Craftsman that i love. To each his own i spose.

Makita, Millwaukee, DeWalt, and Snap-on are all very very acceptable. I prefer Snap-on just because I work (well got laid off from) a dealership and the Snap-on guy would warranty just about anything for us. He even warrantied a few batteries for one guy!

My Makita 14.4V (Ni-MH, I think - I know it's not NiCd) is finally having trouble holding charges in battery packs - after Gawd knows how many cycles! I've long since quit counting, but I'm sure it's well past spec life for the things.

Now it's a question of, "Do I get new packs, or do I replace the thing outright?" I keep wanting to look at the 18V DeWalt kits...

If I felt like they could hold up to the sort of use I'd put them to, the Ryobi One+ series at Home Depot looks nice - but I've not had good luck with Ryobi. I did get a Ryobi cordless for my wife (she doesn't push tools as hard as I do) and it's lasting her fairly well, but she doesn't drill holes through 6x6 for any reason, and never drills metal. I've had to punch holes through 3/4" thick plate a couple of times, and I want to make sure the thing will hold up...

While I like DeWalt tools in general, I'm not a huge fan of their drills- I've used several 18V (are they also NiMH? I think the XRPs might be), and they had some quirks with the gear selectors, and were heavy working on a ladder or on my back. I used a 3/8" corded briefly, but it self destructed running a spade bit through 2x4s.

I've got some Ryobi corded tools as well which I am pleased with (miter saw and 4.5" grinder), but not used any of their cordless tools. Their drill/driver combo comes with the smaller LI batteries, while I would prefer the fullsize batts- an additional $200. Durability is questionable, depending on who you ask.

The Milwaukee seems to be a good unit, and gets good reviews (the BIL said his set is great, except for the sawzall, which he said was worthless for cutting black iron pipe, lacking guts), and we abused their Holehawg drills and worm-drive saws horribly when I worked for a tile and terrazzo firm (converting worm-drive saws for wet stone-cutting, mixing mortar and terrazzo with the drills). It's one of the more expensive pairings, but I was impressed by the abuse their other tools withstood.

I've read that the current Craftsman line are Ryobis (haven't confirmed, but wouldn't be surprised), and I've got a 14.4V drill that has flaky batteries. One of the more affordable units, but slightly higher voltage (19.2, IIRC). Same ability to use a variety of tools as the Ryobis, although I don't know if Ryobi tools can use Craftsman batts and vice versa. Not terribly impressed with my buddy's drill, which is newer, and apparently different than my Craftsman drill. My Hitachi (which belches smoke, and is about 6 yrs old now) still beats on it.

I don't have easy access to the Snap On guy anymore, and have zero experience with anything but their hand tools. I've used Makita corded tools, but not cordless. I've not heard any complaints regarding their tools, and liked what I've used. They've dropped the price on their pairing to around $200, IIRC, although there are no additional tools available that I've seen. Not a deal breaker, but something to consider.

One thing that bothers me is the lack of specs offered for most tools. I care greatly about runtime, inch lbs, and charge times, and not much at all about ad copy. With my current drills, I can drain a battery faster than I can charge one- on the days I've really used them, I wind up standing around waiting- not good at all.

Ridgid also has some tools, but I noticed my Ridgid vac is identical to a Craftsman vac- I suppose power tools are like most things- dozens of brands from only a few manufacturers. Best rating on the impact driver (~130 ft/lbs, I believe), but if it's really just a rebadged [insert brand], I don't see a point in paying a premium.

Yeah, I really geek out on things like this, but I've never regretted researching a purchase, while I've paid for impulse buys by buying the same things again. Looking for some feedback from other users, and it seemed logical to ask around here, seeing as this is a pretty hands-on bunch. Thanks, and keep it coming.

When I was working construction I had the chance to use both the DeWalt XRP stuff and the LI Milwaukee 28V stuff, both worked really well, but the Milwaukee was awesome, plenty of torque, and the cordless drill would run all day long. Even the Saws-all would last quite a wile, we could get a good 10 min continuos use out of it, didn't get to try any of the other 28V stuff, but I'm a believer.

I've used the Milwaukee 18V Lithium powered drill and its the best one i've used so far. The only down side is its weight, compared to the 18V makitas, hiltis and the dewalt its damn heavy, but its tough and can survive a lot of abuse.
If you want lightweight then I would go with the Hilti, the Makita is about the same weight but we broke two of them in one year. they wouldn't stay in gear any more and one of them was stuck in low gear permanently.

I use one of these for my small household projects or wroking on the jeep.
Milwaukee 12V subcompact drill

The only thing about Milwaukee, is you are paying for the red paint.
Back in the day, Milwaukee was the only player on the block for commercial / industrial use, any more, a Bosch or Dewalt will hold up just as well fo a fraction of the price.

I think it was Consumer Reports or something like that who did a rating on them.
Makita turned out #1 for the test.
I have always liked my Makita tools, always ran, took a beating and still kept going. One battery pack has a cracked case but still works aswell as the others after 5 years now I think.

Not sure if you have them in the US, but Rigid tools seem to work rather well too. Not to mention they come with Lifetime Guarantee on all parts, including the battery.
Dewalt from what I remember is a Black and Decker brand, and over the years have gone down hill in quality. Milwuakee I find is hit n miss, we had kits overseas for each section. The batteries were garbage lasting maybe a few minutes in some cases, at best an hour of casual drill use. But that could be a bad batch (of 18 or so batteries that is)

I would like to give Bosch a bit more time on the market before I buy any of their cordless tools, but if they are anything like their corded, they will be top notch.

When it comes to brute force and dependability Makita takes the cake, but with a lifetime guarantee its hard to skip the Rigids.

When I worked construction 15 years ago, the professionals were all using Makita tools. Nowadays they are sold at Home Depot and I'm not sure I would trust those to be the same quality.

My advice is still to go find the heaviest tools you will ever use and buy the junior tools that use the same packs.

Its been a few years but a manufacturing plant I was a maint. mech. at used dewalts in 18v. We periodically tried other brands, but stuck with dewalt. This was mostly due to the broadest (at the time) available tools using the same battery pack. Great torque, speed, longevity and durability.

I do remember bosch battery packs being fragile in comparison to the dewalts. We were hard on things.

I worked in a fabrication/ repair shop for a year. We used Craftsman. We had like 20 batteries and a charging station set up (10 chargers nailed to a shelf). I guess we never bought the other brands because there was nothing ever wrong with the Craftsman. I've dropped the drill and impact drll off an 8ft step ladder and they both survived.

I was impressed with those, and the price was right so I bought them for my garage. I might spring for a DeWalt cordless impact in a few weeks though.

Makita all the way.

If you are a serious tool guy stay away from the white Makita tools
they are cheaper quality. Go with the Makita green litho ion because they have a
battery tender built into the charger so you can plug them up and forget about
them if you want but i personally wouldn't recommend it. Just charge it and put it up the next day if you have to.
NiMH batteries have a charge cycle life.They only have so many charges and then they
start getting weak so if you have these run them as long as they will go before charging.

NiCad batteries will form a memory so you need to charge these in an erattic cycle,
for example, run it down half way then charge but next time run it all the way dead,
then next time run it a quarter or three quarters the way down.

But with all batteries its best to keep them fully charged if possible while being stored.

Thats What I 've learned about rechargable battery tech over the last 20 years.

Went with this pairing-

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=LXT211

I couldn't find another drill I liked with an impact driver, and full size batteries. Hammer/drill/driver, 1/2" chuck, good specs (450 in/lbs for the drill, 1330 for the driver), LEDs and metal belt hooks on the tools, decent hardcase (I have very limited room, both in the garage and the Jeep- stackable cases are very handy). 22 tools available that use the same battery, from fluourescent lights to metal-cutting bandsaws. Hope it's a good set.

Back