• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Cordless Phone From The UK?

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I had an interesting discussion with a buddy the other day. And we are trying to figure out whether a cordless home phone (landline) from the UK would work in the US. The only real snag we see thus far is the power adapter, and the phone line. Both of which they have adapters for, so thats a non issue. They use the same alphabet and numbering system. So no funky stuff on the keypad. The only extra thing I have seen is a "INT" button, which I take to be "International". What says the collective? Jon, Vince, any input here?

Last edited:
I say this thread is boring.

However, there's an exciting discussion going on about finding lady fingers & stuff in the junkyard thread! :thumbup: :D

What is the electricity in the UK? You might be able to put an adapter onto it but if their electricity is 220, like Germany, its not going to work. I'm pretty sure that they don't make a transformer that steps up our 110 to 220.
The frequencies is something else you'll have to look into. I know taking a baby monitor from the US to Germany can be an issue. They operate on 900MHz, which is the same freq as cell phones, and you can get in trouble if your baby monitor interfers with an emergency cell call. Well according to good old AFN anyways.

Yes but the DECT handset talks to the DECT base station via radio and radios work the same here and there. As long as the phone and base station worked in the UK they will still communicate fine here.

BTW you can get DECT phones here

There are adapters for everything, a lot of the stuff sold at the PX is duel voltage, if you buy it overseas. Just look on your power supply if it says 100-240 then you are good, but if it only says 240 then you probably won't be good. Yea you can still plug it in and it won't blow up, but it won't work properly.
We tried plugging in a 220 coffee pot into 110, it would work but would take about 2 hours to do one pot of coffee and it never got above luke warm.

There are AC adaptors from 220 to 110 and from 110 to 220. Sometimes you can get one that would work both ways. What you would have to look out for though is the AC frequency/cycles. In the US we use 110 volts at 60 HZ/cycles. Most of Europe use 220 volts and 50 HZ/cycles. Here in the caribbean it is the same thing.

The connection (RF) between the base and the hand set should not be a problem. The laws of RF is the same where ever you go on earth or in outer space. They are part of the laws of nature. Use of the exact frequencies may be different in the US verses UK/Europe. In the US, they are decided by the FCC. In the UK/Europe they have a different governing body. In the US, cordless phone frequencies are part of the public spectrum. That means it is free to the public. Cellular phones, satelites and others are part of a paid spectrum and are highly regulated.

In short, if the base uses 220 volts and 50/60 (50 to 60 ) HZ you have no problem. An AC transformer could reduce the AC input to the US 110 volts.

The only issue is are the first two wires, red and green, tip and ring over there like here ? Thats the question.

Pretty sure they use the same 50 volt standard for telephone there, hence you can find the telephone adaptors (if they didn't use the same standard tehy woudln't exist, note that they only change the shape of the plug, they do no conversion).

The thing to check is the telehpone's transformer. Most modern transformaters will accept 110/60 - 220/50, as long as that is the case (input voltage should be marked on the transformer) then all he needs to do is get a plug adaptor to go from the shitty US spec plugs to the MUCH superior UK spec plug (check it out, they're tons stronger!).

Yes DJ, those are pretty much the two *exact* products I would buy.

(Assuming the transformer is good for 110VAC, that outlet converter does nothing but change configuration)

RichP said:
The only issue is are the first two wires, red and green, tip and ring over there like here ? Thats the question.

Color I am not sure about but they uses the same 2 wire system based on Belcore Standards (Alexander Gramham Bell) established herre in the US. China and Russia uses a 3 wire system. :huh: :eek:

The standard for telephony in the US is regulated by the TIA/EIA
No time to dig through the archives. They have the ability to take simple information and package it in a 300 page manual.
Im a telephone and now, Cell tower tech but no not about european standards.
Oh yeah but i know for sure "int " means intercom, i have a 4-handset setup here at home, and they can be used to intercom with.
http://www.tiaonline.org/standards/catalog/index.cfm

Kittrell said:

yes that will allow you to plug it into the wall but it is going to require more electricity than you can provide.

I've never heard of a transformer that steps up 100v to 220V, but I could be wrong. I've only seen them that go from 220V to 110V

If your power supply doesn't say, INPUT 100V-240V, its not going to work.

Back