• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front wagoneer 44 build, questions

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
so im just starting to get into the whole front axle swap scene now that im going to 35s. lookin to maybe gear to 5.13s. would this be a poor idea for a DD that sees highway time?

there are a good amount of grand waggy front axles in my area that can be had for reasonable prices. am i correct to think that most or all of these came with 44 fronts? and theyre only an inch or 2 off from a stock cherokee width axle?

those of you who have experience with this, what'd y'all pay for your waggy 44 swaps up front? i have a few welders in the family so labor wouldnt be an issue, what kind of work am i lookin at to set it up to be XJ compatible (perches, steering, all that)? im familiar with gearing costs and such as i have already gone through the process once. any info on the wagoneer front 44 swap into XJs would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

If you have a manual transmission I think 5.13's would be nice because it will have some great low end and you will still have the 5th gear overdrive for highway use. If you have an automatic it will probably do a number on your gas mileage. But if thats not a concern I would do it. Chances are you will want to go bigger some time down the road and then having the 5.13's will save you from another gear change.
I have 4.10's in my Dana 60's with 38" SX's and a Ax-15 right now and I cant use 5th gear. Im going to be swapping in 5.13's or 5.38's in a few months to get my 5th gear back and improve my crawl ratio.

92YJ1ton said:
If you have a manual transmission I think 5.13's would be nice because it will have some great low end and you will still have the 5th gear overdrive for highway use. If you have an automatic it will probably do a number on your gas mileage. But if thats not a concern I would do it. Chances are you will want to go bigger some time down the road and then having the 5.13's will save you from another gear change.
I have 4.10's in my Dana 60's with 38" SX's and a Ax-15 right now and I cant use 5th gear. Im going to be swapping in 5.13's or 5.38's in a few months to get my 5th gear back and improve my crawl ratio.
You've got it backwards. RPMs are lower with an automatic, the AW4 overdrive is deeper than the AX-15.

my bad, I didnt realize they were so close. AX-15 5th gear is .79 and AW4 4th gear is .75.

In that case I would do it with whichever transmission you have.

Early AW-4's are .69-.71 OD. VERY deep OD, enough for 5.38's and 35's.

if u look up projectxj.com it will help, hes a cool guy gave me some advice for mine. i picked my set of waggy 44s for $300 and then used the RE bracket kit.

HeavyMetal said:
so im just starting to get into the whole front axle swap scene now that im going to 35s. lookin to maybe gear to 5.13s. would this be a poor idea for a DD that sees highway time?

there are a good amount of grand waggy front axles in my area that can be had for reasonable prices. am i correct to think that most or all of these came with 44 fronts? and theyre only an inch or 2 off from a stock cherokee width axle?

those of you who have experience with this, what'd y'all pay for your waggy 44 swaps up front? i have a few welders in the family so labor wouldnt be an issue, what kind of work am i lookin at to set it up to be XJ compatible (perches, steering, all that)? im familiar with gearing costs and such as i have already gone through the process once. any info on the wagoneer front 44 swap into XJs would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

I'm not happy with my 4.88's and I drive every where in my Heep

I paid 200 for my front and I'm sure I can geat a rear for less

I did through alot of money in to a RE kit though about 375

Back