• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random Front Dana 30 axle questions

katarn444

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 cherokee with a non-disconnect D30 front axle. My first question is, when did they start putting the non-disconnect in? I was under the impression that 89's had only the vacuum disconnect D30, but when I took a look there was not vacuum actuator on the axle.

Today I installed some up upcountry coils since one of my stock coils was broken. The screw that holds the spring retaining clip down will not tighten, is there a captured nut under the spring perch or is the spring perch itself tapped? I think I will first replace the bolt and then try to clean the threads up with a tap. Any thoughts?

Lastly, I broke one of my sway-bar endlinks. Are they the same for all xj's. Does anyone have a set that they pulled off their truck to put on disconnects and willing to send them to me. I will pay shipping and throw in a couple of bucks for your trouble. Even better is somebody was local and could go pick them up, I am in Putnam Country NY. I really do not want quick disconnects.

Thanks
katarn

Which x-case do you have-the 231 part-time or the 242 Full time capable. If you have the "limited" package, then you should have the 242 x-case. It came with the non-disco front axle. As for the spring retainers, the perch has threaded holes for the bolts, so you may have stripped the holes out. There is no "captured" nut on the bottom. The endlinks I am not too sure about, if the are the same or not for all or even most years of the XJ.

Well then, I guess that settles that as for the axle. If you care to know, the front yoke on the axle is the same as the older CJ front axle, which uses "U-bolts", instead of the straps and bolts that you have on there now. Lot stronger, and when you break one, it does not get stuck in the yoke ear like the strap and bolt style ( the bolt likes to shear off and be a REAL PITA to try and remove so you can use the yoke again.). I converted all of mine a long time ago- no troubles since then. And yes, the u-joint is the same.

Thanks for the info. Where do you go about getting the u-bolts? I was thinking about doing this on the back but had not given much thought to the front.
Katarn

I made the modification to the rear yoke of my XJ. All I did was go buy the u-bolt set from Advance Discount auto parts and used a die grinder to make some clearance on the pinion yoke for the nuts to fit, then installed the u straps in place of the band straps. Has worked very well so far.

Back