• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Long arms

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a RE 3.5" lift with 31. I am would like to go up to 4.5 or even 5.5" lift so eventually i will need a long arm kit. I am thinking of building my own, using RE super flex joints. My first question is how many of you have built your own? I also read a post that the tie in for the lower long arm should mount to a location other then the crossmember. Incase you have to remove the crossmember the front wheels will still be solid and in place. I was thinking maybe to make an additional cross member right in front of the Stock crossmember to tie in the control arms but it looks like i would have to drop it too low for it to clear the front drive shaft when it drops down (under flex) Anyway can you guys post pics of yours so i can get an idea of how you did it, and also give me any advice and what to and not to do? Thanks

Very nice tutorial. I got a lot of ideas from it. The only question i have is that you used Grade 8 then welded it? Isn't grade 8 high strength steel and thus shouldn't be welded? I am currently studying engineering and have heard that welding high strength steel makes it very brittle. Anyway great artcile. It really helps me out.

Plenty of pics of mine,I used 1 1/4"-12 B7 chromoly.
BTW:as soon as I finish up my Cheromanche project I will be retrofitting both XJ's so that the crossmember can be lowered with the suspension left intact!
LA pics

Last edited:
Back