• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help with axle swap

IUPxj94

NAXJA Forum User
first off id like to AHOY, because this i my first post here. i have been lurking in the shadows for a little while now and finnaly descided to get involved and register. off to my questions, i have a 94 xj two door 5 speed with a 4'' trailmaster lift and i want to put different axle under it. i hear that International is a canidate for this, can anybody verify that. my grandfather owns a million IH's so it would be easy too. if this is true then then i have a couple quistions

1. whats a good gear ratio to look for?
2. is the axle the same length, if not what do i have to do with it?
3. what do i do about a front axle? i think all of the IH's are leaf springs in the front so that posses a huge problem with xj's having coils. is there a IH that has coils in the front.

any help would be great.

thanks in advance

dave

wow thats alot of stuff

as far as gear ratio's you didnt mention tire size, but lower gears, numerically higher, is better
remeber the gears have to be the same front and rear

the rear axle isnt that big of a deal, any axle will fit, just weld on spring perches and shock mounts and deal with the breaks, you also need to check the bolt patter of the wheels, want it to match the front

and as far as the front, yes that a pretty big deal for the front, alot of stuff have to be welded on to get the coils to work

or you can just conver to front leaves

search is your friend!

hope this helps

1. Ratio - whatever you have now in front, or whatever you want to regear the front too... just keeping the front and rear the same gear ratio the same is importiant....

2. check this out:

this is an SOA axle swap into a YJ, but its basicaly the same.
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

here is some info on the Scout and Scout II d44's
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/d44swap.html

IUPxj94 said:
hear that International is a canidate for this, can anybody verify that. my grandfather owns a million IH's so it would be easy too
Dude, hook it up. Ask him if he'll sell ANY d44 rear end to me... ha ha ha

Front, keep the D30 that you have, its good for up to 33" tires locked and 35" tires open. Rubicon Express makes the brackets so you can weld them on to make coil mounts, but id rather get a spare tire on a rim with the bolt pattern of the back and a wheel spacer/adaptor to put on that spare if you need to use it on the front....

just my opinion....

cool beans and Aloha from Nebraska or California depending on the scool year...

thanks guys that seems to help. but i guess the only way to figure everything out is to pull an axle and just do it. if there are any problems i might be able to figure it out. if anybody else as any good info that would be great

thanks

Back