• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swap D35 to D44 - ABS

canuckxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to swap the rear 35 with a D44. I have a 01 limited with ABS. Can I simply disable the system by removing the relay and fuses? Do I need to change the booster or master cylinder?

Thanks

I have a '92 XJ 4.0 auto tran with a D35 in back. I have (had) ABS although I'm not sure which manufacturer. Had some troubles with the ABS (it kept coming on unexpectedly for no reason) so I just unplugged the two electrical connectors leading to the controller. Been this way for most of the year. I left the hydraulic connections alone. Haven't had any problems except the 'check abs' light stays on.

I've put a D44 in the back so I guess my abs is gone for good. Something to be glad about...

When I swapped in my D44 into my 96, I removed the rear ABS sensor wires, pulled the relays from under the rear bench seat and there was a fuse in the fuse panel under the dash that will shut off the ABS dash light.

I did not do anything else to the pump or MC and it works fine.

Of course then I added 32" tires and 1000lbs of armor and now they aren't so fine anymore. I'm now working on swapping in disc brakes on to the D44.

Good luck.
Mark F

if you disable the ABS by way of pulling fuses - then that kills the front too. Any way to keep ABS in front and swap a D44 and not have ABS rear?

XJ_ranger said:
if you disable the ABS by way of pulling fuses - then that kills the front too. Any way to keep ABS in front and swap a D44 and not have ABS rear?
Nope they work as a unit. if you diasble one you do both.
I just did this swap. I just pulled the wires from the connection under the back seat and pulled the relay under the hood. everything is fine.

Back