• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 xj Ignition Switch

rattler43

NAXJA Forum User
My ignition doesn't come back to acc position and hasn't since I bought the xj. I thought it might be in need of adjustment, but it seems the dimmer switch uses the two same screws as the ignition switch. Was wondering how you set one without disturbing the other. Also was wondering if this dimmer switch has the blink to pass option. If it does, its not working either. Thanks....Don FYI...All the other positions on ignition switch work perfectly.

Yes, the GM column has you install the ignition switch and "calibarate" it before your install the dimmer switch. You will have to remove the dimmer switch to work in the ignition switch. Life is easier if you go to sears and pick up a set of metric ignition wrenches. They are very stubby open end wrenches.

At the age of your XJ I'd just replace the ignition and dimmer switch while you are that deep into it. I installed a borg-warner ignition switch 18 months ago on my 88 XJ. One day the XJ started but no radio so that told me time to change the ignition switch. I think I'd stay with a Delco or a Borg-warner replacement component.

10 days after I changed the ignition the head light switch failed when I was 200 miles from home and had to make it 200 more miles, it was dusk. I ended up installing a GP sorenson switch since the first big box parts store I found had that in stock. I installed it and went on my way. Just last night I had the replacement switch do the same thing and today I installed a new headlight switch. This time I went with a borg-warner.

I am now considering going to the dealer this week to buy a head light switch and carry it with me. The "parts store" switch failed in 18 months and 3 of those months the XJ was in the body shop. The ignition switch still working like a champ!

Since it is an effort to change the ignition switch go with a brand you trust.

Thanks Martin, but I was just trying to figure out (before I attempt it) how to adjust two switches that are held by the same two screws? Are there another screw or something on the ignition switch that holds it while you adjust dimmer switch? Don

I would live with it. But if you thing you want to take a look, the best way to approach it, is to unbolt the column and have it completely laying on the front seat so you can see the ignition switch.

It been a while since I did the work but what I recall is you calibrate the ignition switch then remove one nut and then calibrate the dimmer switch. I believe at the bottom end both switches are held down by the same nut but at the top position they share a common stud but have separate nuts.

The top stud positon goes: Column, ignition switch, nut on stud, dimmer switch, then nut.
The bottom position goes: column, igniton switch, dimmer switch, then nut.

I also checked and my 88 XJ does not have flash to pass, just low beams OR high bearms.

I had a guy advise me and you can just loosen the column attachement point closest to the driver and let the column drop a couple of inches. Leave the bracked on the column but you may want to loosen the bolts attaching the bracket to the column to aid in reassembly. You will bend yourself into some positions you have not been in for a while but it can be done with the column still in the vehicle. You will have to remove the lower dash board trim, the piece with the ash tray to do this job.

This job goes easier if you have a friend along who already done the job. I started doing it and my buddy who was there to watch jumped in and finished the job. He came by to watch and could not help himself :)

Also make sure you buy the right type of ignition switch for your column, different switch depending tilt or non-tilt column

Back