• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR OR SMITTYBILT BUMPERS FOR 98XJ

Way too open ended of a question.

What is your intended purpose of the rig?
Best quality, best budget, etc...

I've never heard a good thing about the quality on Smittybilt bumpers

My view there are other options from the smaller venders. No sure what those would be on the Left Coast.

The JCR is a lightweight bumper that lacks tie-ins but has better ground clearance.
The Smittybilt is extremely heavy and doesn't play well withwith other components.
Personally if you can fab/weld I'd would beef up the JCR!

+1

I find it hard to grasp that JCR is comparable to Smittybilt. Has JCR fallen that far?

I've been somewhat unimpressed with a couple JCR parts I've gotten over the years, but I think its a consequence of their growth and success more than anything. They at least try to help make things right when there is an issue.

I'd look at Dirtbound Off Road. Quality is great and the pricing is more reasonable than JCR is these days.

A D.I.Y weld together bumper is better than Smittybilt. JCR is pretty good but I think they're leaning towards the JK,JL, and JT platforms now. Just my 2 cents with what I've run over the years. Bonefish is good but they are pricey like ARB

Dont go Shittybilt, cant speak to JCR's quality. The Smittybilt is extremely useful but it weighs 235 lbs without a tire, gas or a hi-lift. Also the latch and hinge get loose so the spare tire mount rattles all the time going down the road. According to their website JCR only weighs 75 lbs. I'd pick JCR on weight alone.

A D.I.Y weld together bumper is better than Smittybilt.
Bonefish is good but they are pricey like ARB

I've built 2 of the Dirtbound kit bumpers and they were pretty good for the price.

Were you meaning "Fishbone"?

I have an AJ's up front and it is indestructible, had it for 17 years.
I have the new style JCR rear but I also added a Dirtbound frame tie in because the JCR one is a joke.
The swing out on the JCR is very solid.

I deal with smittybilt regularly, (mainly on the newer Jeep platforms) and I can honestly say that their quality sucks. Fit and finish is never good, and their powder coat never lasts. I've had good luck with Dirtbound and JCR products. Only issue with both of those companies in the past has been shipping times.

I believe Smittybuilt rear bumper is a rated Class III hitch is why I would get it for towing while JCR is not rated, just a receiver.

I believe Smittybuilt rear bumper is a rated Class III hitch is why I would get it for towing while JCR is not rated, just a receiver.

This is why I modified my JCR rear bumper to tie into my Class 3 hitch :thumbup:

I believe Smittybuilt rear bumper is a "rated" Class III hitch is why I would get it for towing while JCR is not rated, just a receiver.

No, it is not rated! DOT requires marking of any components that have been tested and confirmed for any class of rating!

Back