• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Rear armor for the cut n fold

Goose_XJ88

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hello all. I know that most of us do the cut n fold lower quarter mod and build or buy bumpers that go under there to protect it.

I am looking to re-locate the options out there that protect that area if you were not to run a bumper.

I know Rustys makes a set (link below) But I know there was another company that made them that have "TFS" laser cut out of them. I know this because I saved a picture of them but I dont remember what the company name was.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/products/rustys-rear-corner-cut-panels-xj-cherokee

2cb12e93f136cc4b0c37905198ac46e4.jpg
7e2dccd07b78a73890e2645eeec8e7f6.jpg
9d4da774ca51b1129a54b7c9c990fd9c.jpg
734430c469bcc4b172ce8f214c17127a.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see the Rusty's doing much unless you just did a cut with no-fold!

Agreed, it is a little overkill but that is how I tend to build my rig.

The main reason that I want it is because I have a tube bumper and most of the body there will be exposed. So if I come down on a rock that the tube isnt aligned with, I can smash the quarter.

My other concern is the jeep coming in sideways to a rock outcropping that is just over the bumper but under the upper quarter armor and taking out that body line.

Without any structure your going to kill the quarter anyway!

Hi Casey.

I could see that Rusty's product as being useful assuming you have some other quarter panel protection above it, (and maybe weld them together?)

And from an aesthetic standpoint it does look clean.

The other question is it worth $150? Given the fact it's a couple small pieces of steel and bent, and a cover for the fuel inlet hoses. So the material and time to make the same thing yourself, $150 might not be that bad after all, especially if you don't have a press brake capable of doing the bend.

The other company that I'm trying to locate (TFS) has something similar but has folds all 4 sides and was cheaper than rustys. I know it's probably not needed but I'm going to do it anyways and probably weld it to the upper quarter armor like you mentioned Eric

On my 2000 XJ build, I am planning the cut and fold. I do have an IRO bumper. For protection in that area, I was thinking a mini rock rail or such. I do have frame stiffeners. So a good attachment points.

It's not what you're asking for, but here are some pictures of what I did just for some ideas.

I had a traditional cut/fold, and intended to get a wrap-around bumper to fill the gap. I decided it made more sense to have the lower quarter stay attached to the body rather than the bumper, and I wanted to retain the interior storage space.

Made these custom lower quarter panel pieces. Tied them into the bumper and tube fenders with a slider. Obviously very custom and not something you can buy/bolt on, but food for thought.

RBokade.jpg

5Ml53dz.jpg

bHkJbU8.jpg

u2umIqR.jpg

It's not what you're asking for, but here are some pictures of what I did just for some ideas.

I had a traditional cut/fold, and intended to get a wrap-around bumper to fill the gap. I decided it made more sense to have the lower quarter stay attached to the body rather than the bumper, and I wanted to retain the interior storage space.

Made these custom lower quarter panel pieces. Tied them into the bumper and tube fenders with a slider. Obviously very custom and not something you can buy/bolt on, but food for thought.

RBokade.jpg

5Ml53dz.jpg

bHkJbU8.jpg

u2umIqR.jpg
Wheres the thread full of your awesome fab photos.

Heres mine

f1b37926c067bf755d19f10a3a26918e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Wheres the thread full of your awesome fab photos.

In my build thread over on cherokeeforum. Link in my sig.

I also really like how you accomplished a similar goal. I pondered a very similar setup for a long time. Did some sketches and even worked some stuff out on Solidworks before going with the design I did.

Man its come a long ways.
Lost my password over there so i just frequent here now

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Hello all. I know that most of us do the cut n fold lower quarter mod and build or buy bumpers that go under there to protect it.

I am looking to re-locate the options out there that protect that area if you were not to run a bumper.

I know Rustys makes a set (link below) But I know there was another company that made them that have "TFS" laser cut out of them. I know this because I saved a picture of them but I dont remember what the company name was.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/products/rustys-rear-corner-cut-panels-xj-cherokee

Can you attach the photo you are talking about? I'm trying to come up with a solution to this area myself and would be willing to try to find the original manufacturer as well.

Finally logged into my taptalk again so I can post the pics.

This is the company/product that I am looking for because it was cheaper than the Rustys stuff and actually wrapped up 3 sides for more rigidity.

2cb12e93f136cc4b0c37905198ac46e4.jpg
7e2dccd07b78a73890e2645eeec8e7f6.jpg
9d4da774ca51b1129a54b7c9c990fd9c.jpg
734430c469bcc4b172ce8f214c17127a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! I just shot him an email to see if he would make me a set. It doesn't have them listed on the website (https://the-flop-shop-offroad.myshopify.com/) but It states they do custom work so maybe they will do one set. Who knows

Yeh, their website looks like they may be closed down since most of their product is removed and the fb and ig links don't work anymore.
But it was worth an email at the least.

Back