• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil sressure sender resistance for 1998 XJ

jonnycat

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, does anyone know the resistance to pressure values of an oil pressure sender for a 1998 XJ? I've poked around the and can't seem to find any information on this one.

Sorry, no idea. Why are we asking?

Oil pressure senders are cheap and easy, I just thread in another if the gauge shows funny numbers. If nothing makes sense, install a mechanical gauge see what is actually happening.

Thanks Lawson, my 98 shows different readings, it's open at 0 and stays at about 68 ohms at idle. This is for a new one, I didn't check the old one when it was in place.

Just get a mechanical, the factory ones are junk. I have my factory plumbed in tandem with mechanical and they never agree. Factory is 99% of the time lower. My volts also read lower than actual. One day I'll get the thermostat cover with the bung for an extra temp gauge, can't wait to see how accurate that gauge is too.

Edited for correction: They don't show the same thing. Please read the rest of the thread. Below applies to '99.

----------------------------------------------

Don't have a '98 manual but the '97 and '99 show the same thing.[/b]

No resistance values but the sending unit has 3 wires.

Orange - 5v supply
Green/Yellow - Sensor Signal (goes to Pin B23 on C2 connector to PCM)
Brown/Yellow - Sensor Ground (goes to Pin A4 on C1 connector on PCM)

Check for voltage at the supply. Check for continuity at the others. Check your grounds.

"The instrument cluster microprocessor calculates engine oil pressure gauge needle position based on the oil pressure data message on the CCD bus. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) broadcasts the data message over the CCD bus."

As others have sugested, verify with a mechanical gauge.

Last edited:
Just get a mechanical, the factory ones are junk. I have my factory plumbed in tandem with mechanical and they never agree. Factory is 99% of the time lower. My volts also read lower than actual. One day I'll get the thermostat cover with the bung for an extra temp gauge, can't wait to see how accurate that gauge is too.

Where did you mount yours in the cabin?

Orange - 5v supply

Ah! I didn't realize the sensor changed. It's output voltage you need to measure then, not resistance. I haven't seen a chart for those values anywhere.

Don't have a '98 manual but the '97 and '99 show the same thing.

Orange - 5v supply

Interesting, mine has only two pins on it.

Interesting, mine has only two pins on it.

Digging deeper into the FSMs. I don't have a 1998 manual, but the 1997 shows a 2-wire resistance sensor and the 1999 shows 3 wire (powered, so signal is voltage).

RockAuto only shows it crossing to a 1998 XJ, so maybe its an oddball year?

Digging deeper into the FSMs. I don't have a 1998 manual, but the 1997 shows a 2-wire resistance sensor and the 1999 shows 3 wire (powered, so signal is voltage).

RockAuto only shows it crossing to a 1998 XJ, so maybe its an oddball year?

Yeah, 99 is definitely a three pin as I looked at one at the parts store when I got mine.

You're right. '97 has 2 pins. Not sure what I was looking at. The parts guides confirm the different part number that match those listed on Rockauto.

Worse yet, is the part guide lists a different number for '99 so 3 years, 3 different part numbers.

Good catch lawsoncl!

My apologies johnnycat!

Back