• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My D35 Lincoln Locker

Winterhawk

NAXJA Forum User
What am I doing? When I bought my XJ I was told it had a rear locker and well it did sort of. On the test drive on a mild trail it seemed obvious, but it acted more like a welded rear than a locker. The owner said he never pulled the cover since buying it and he was told it had a locker. He drove it for 45,000 miles, I've put another 15,000 on it, and who knows how many miles total since it was welded. Yes, after buying I pulled the cover to verify and planned on replacing the rear soon after. Well life happens and it still hasn't broke and I still haven't bought a replacement, but now I'm getting nervous :repair:
I don't have a heavy foot and its done well on trails, but nothing hard core. I need to do this soon since I'll be uping the tire size, adding a taller lift, and it will need regearing anyway. For what I do a 8.25 will be fine, and I'm tired of rolling the dice and ready for a little peace of mind before it .:explosion

Got a shit ton of use out of my welded 35 on the trails it never did break. Now i run a welded 8.25.

Be mindfull on the asphalt and dont let the internet yahoo's scare you

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I used to wheel with a guy who had a early D35 in his XJ that was the non C-clip version. He ran it for years on 35's on black trails in TN and it surprisingly never broke. I was always nervous riding with him haha. Do you know if they welded everything in the diff together or just the edges of the spiders? Would be nice if they just welded the spiders, then you could get some spares and give yourself a little peace of mind for the time being.

I have personally seen two stock XJ's bust a D35 axle shaft, and this mildly lifted one do the same. A Chry 8.25 is cheap insurance, and you can bolt on KJ Liberty disk brakes. The guy in the picture bought an XJ D44 from me for the fix.

I broke a 27spline 8.25 caliper allowd me to drive 80 miles home on it

I used to wheel with a guy who had a early D35 in his XJ that was the non C-clip version. He ran it for years on 35's on black trails in TN and it surprisingly never broke. I was always nervous riding with him haha. Do you know if they welded everything in the diff together or just the edges of the spiders? Would be nice if they just welded the spiders, then you could get some spares and give yourself a little peace of mind for the time being.
Just the edge of the spiders.
Just misssed an 8.25 5 miles from home. I'm sure another will pop up again.

Guy on ebay offers 8.8 with your choice of gears for about 900 shipped. Youl have to do your own spring shock mounts and stuff.

Thats a hell of deal concidering parts to regear will cost you 250-500 and you still just have a shity 8.25.

How/why is a 29 spline Chry 8.25 poopy ?

Almost as strong as a D44, bolt KJ disk brakes, simple gear swaps, XJ bolt on ready, and lots of choices for lockers.

Has lip cast into houseing to stop forward progress. Looks like hell isnt cool

Has lip cast into houseing to stop forward progress. Looks like hell isnt cool

That's rarely a issue but why we shave the pumkin.

How/why is a 29 spline Chry 8.25 poopy ?

C-Clips is why. If a C-Clip or axle breaks you're done for on the trail. Even if you have disc brakes I wouldn't really trust those two little caliper bolts to hold a 35" tire on. Also outside of that its a pain to remove the axles or backing plate...you have to drain the diff and remove the C-Clips everytime which is its own challenge and headache. Makes axle shaft trail repairs much much more difficult and time consuming, unlike an axle with a retainer on the housing flange. Plus you'll probably get gear oil all over the trail if you try a trail repair

I like it shaved to.
The 8.8 could probly use some touch up work to.

Apparently im good at polishing turds and cracking welds
833568e168fb824e18de5b223f1037ca.jpg

Perhaps 35's is the point at which a Chry 8.25 might not be enough axle. However, the OP mentions Chry 8.25 will be fine for his usage.

My Dad taught me how to shave.

Anyone could break any axle i see 14 bolts dana 60s breaking while little 30s 35s 8.25s just keep going.

Some just break stuff doesnt matter what if is.

Back