NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 4th, 2018, 00:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Right hand drive death wobble!

Are you using the axle end adapter drop bracket supplied by IRO?
I'm not sure i know what you mean. I'm using the same track bar you posted a picture of a long with the frame mount. It bolts up to stock tb mount on the front axle. Does any one have an answer to my questions about upper arm length? Or the need for the drop pitman? Thanks for all the feedback.
Old January 4th, 2018, 04:37
NAXJA Forum User

There shouldn't be need for a drop pitman arm but pics are needed for that!

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/..._Arm_Chart.htm
Old January 5th, 2018, 00:42
NAXJA Forum User

Feedback. I dropped the whole front axle today.Arms,steering,track bar. I put a small poly spring spacer on the front right to level it out, set the front upper control arms to 15 inches. Rechecked for elongated holes in the frame they are fine.Hung the axle back up and tightened everything while it was on the ground to avoid bushing preload. Now I didn't have time to throw it on the alignment rack but the lower control arms are closed to their shortest length and it still looks like my caster is very positive/pinion pointing down. Went on a quick test drive down a dw inducing stretch of road and BAM its still there, even easier to trigger. Obviously I cant really assume anything so far because I haven't actually got it on the rack. Tomorrow I'm going to set some toe out and double check the caster numbers. If that doesn't work then I'll pull the drop pitman and go back to stock length pitman. Anyone else using the iron man fab control arm? Are they built to a certain height minimum? do I start adjusting caster from the top arms if in fact it is too positive? Thanks!
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:51
NAXJA Forum User

Old January 6th, 2018, 01:12
NAXJA Forum User

Further feedback truck still got death wobble. So I got the truck on the alignment rack and set some toe out. caster is in fact stuck at 8 degrees.Do I need to buy different lower control arms that have a shorter collapsed length in order to set caster less positive? Or can I go ahead and extend the upper arms to say 15.25 to get some of the caster out or I have no adjustment up there? I have jks adjustable quick disconnects and a sway bar drop, Can sway bar angle cause death wobble? Should I pull the drop brackets? I cant see it having an effect but I'm willing to try anything at this point. This thing just doesn't soak bumps consistently. I feel like I'm running out of options with this thing. And Monday hopefully I can weld a bar that goes rail to rail to stiffen the frame up a bit. Anyone else running the iro track bar on a rhd? Sorry I haven't figured out how to post pics off my phone yet but soon as I do I'll post em. Thanks
Old January 6th, 2018, 03:55
NAXJA Forum User

Control arm length charts are "not" for alignment purposes! They were developed to establish wheelbase and keep the axle centered within the wheel well.
Show us the print-out from your alignment!

Last edited by RCP Phx; January 6th, 2018 at 04:01.
Old January 6th, 2018, 06:54
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
There shouldn't be need for a drop pitman arm but pics are needed for that!

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/..._Arm_Chart.htm

I have seen this chart before but it do not work for me.

At 4.5" of lift, the required LCA to get the axle center is somewhere around 16.38" which is the ones on my XJ. The upper control arms are adjustable units from JCR and are adjusted to some in the neighborhood of 15.5" +/-. I usually fine tune by adding or removing shims at the LCA's.

http://jksmfg.com/i-9056842-j-axis-a...ategory:381151

I think some adjustable CA's or custom length arms would help you to reduce the caster. 8 degrees which is the maximum allowed for non-modified XJ's may be too much. You have to test, adjust and test again until you are comfortable/happy with it.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old January 7th, 2018, 03:07
NAXJA Forum User

I have adjustable upper and lower control arms. I just wasn't sure if I should be making adjustments threw the upper arms after you guys kept saying to set the uppers to 15 inches.. I would only need to extend my uppers by a bit to get me to the 5.5 caster range...Or should I machine my lower arms a bit so I can collapse them a bit more to get 5.5 out of em? I didn't use the length chart to set my alignment. People suggested I set my upper control arms at 15 inches and make all my caster setting threw the lower control arms AND as I stated my lower control arms are collapsed to there shortest setting and my caster is still not in range.
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:08
NAXJA Forum User

How could anybody suggest CA lengths when we know nothing about your Jeep(like lift height). You were so ambiguous in your first post about everything! When trying to figure out DW, hard numbers are critical and you have yet to provide any useful data!
Old January 7th, 2018, 18:39
NAXJA Forum User

Im just asking is it okay for me to set my caster threw the upper arms. Alignment specs are 8.2 caster. .25 toe out. Camber is -.1. Front diff is centered and wheel base is 102 even measeured with a new John beam alignment rack. Lift is the ome ultimate making it 4.5 inches of lift. Aint tryn to piss anyone off or stirr shit up with anyone just asking for some help here. I spoke with kevin from ironman4x4 n he said i should be fine with adjusting upper but am just checking with you guys on that. Thanks again

Last edited by Righthanddrivexj; January 7th, 2018 at 18:41. Reason: Typeo
Old January 7th, 2018, 20:40
NAXJA Member #1145

Your alignment is all FUBAR. You should have 1/8-1/16 of toe-IN, about 6 degrees of positive caster (top of knuckle toward rear of truck, use the flat at bottom of the knuckle to measure. Camber is not adjustable without specialty ball joints, and should be 0 degrees. The bottom arms set wheelbase and center the wheel in the wells. Uppers are used to make caster adjustments.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old January 8th, 2018, 00:31
NAXJA Forum User

I have had toe in. and as per someones suggestion I tried going toe out to see if it helped the situation. If you look at the beginning of this thread everyone suggested it had to do with the way it was setup and to to set my upper arms to stock length and make all adjustments threw the lowers.
Old January 8th, 2018, 06:20
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
Your alignment is all FUBAR. You should have 1/8-1/16 of toe-IN, about 6 degrees of positive caster (top of knuckle toward rear of truck, use the flat at bottom of the knuckle to measure. Camber is not adjustable without specialty ball joints, and should be 0 degrees. The bottom arms set wheelbase and center the wheel in the wells. Uppers are used to make caster adjustments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Righthanddrivexj View Post
I have had toe in. and as per someones suggestion I tried going toe out to see if it helped the situation. If you look at the beginning of this thread everyone suggested it had to do with the way it was setup and to to set my upper arms to stock length and make all adjustments threw the lowers.
The way the XJ came from Jeep, the Upper Control arms are of fixed length with no way of adjusting them. The Lower Control arms are also fixed length. However, a bit of caster adjustment is provided on the early XJ's by the use of metal shims placed behind the control arms at the body mount. On a non modified XJ this would be sufficient to get the caster in specs.

On a modified XJ, all this OEM stuff goes out the door. However, most of us use it as a base or starting point and fine tune from there. Here is where adjustable upper and or lower control arms come into play. Most of us with 4"+ lift uses after market control arms to get the XJ to the point where it is pleasurable to drive at highway speeds. Everyone I know have installed after market control arms including myself.

Just an FYI: the lower arms on my are 16 3/8" or 16.375 fixed length purchased from Rusty'. The uppers are the JKS adjustable lengths and at the moment measures 15 7/8" or 15.875" That get the caster to a usable setting and I could make minor adjustment using the shims behind the lower control arms.

Righthanddrivexj, bring the caster to about 5 degrees and the toe to 0 then fine tune from there. I have heard that higher lift and larger tires on an XJ require less caster. My XJ is sitting at 4.5" lift with JK take off wheels and tires which are approximately 33" diameter verses the 27 or 28" tires that came standard on the XJ.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old January 8th, 2018, 08:37
NAXJA Forum User

Your still missing a lot of of critical info, specially when trying to diagnose DW! Here is my print out on my 2K, it had only been "home" aligned for the last 17yrs. When I installed a Currie Correctlink I decided to check my work. I'm at 5.5" with radius arms and it's driving better than new right now!
Btw: I still need to take some toe back out, I screwed up when I did my calculation from inches to degrees!

Last edited by RCP Phx; January 8th, 2018 at 08:49.
Old March 14th, 2018, 07:53
NAXJA Forum User

What's the update on this ???