• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent Fan...

G60GTI

NAXJA Forum User
98 xj. All of the searches i did seem to focus around the fan cutting out, and then no more air coming out of the vents, going to the defrost vents(vacum related). Mine is a bit different. Last winter I had no problems, blasted heat all winter and barely noticed the fan coming on. Spring rolled around, and knowing that my AC did'nt work, I put a full charge in it. Worked for a couple months pretty well, but slowly became less cold air, probably a small leak. Then one day I turned on the AC and noticed the fan coming on and then shutting off about every 5 seconds. Said F it, and didnt use AC anymore. I had to use the heat the other night and it is doing the same thing, 5 second on, 5 seconds off, but air is still flowing well through the vents. It doesnt matter if I am idling, cruising at 30 or 75, It is always doing it.
Any ideas? It's really annoying, plus I would really like to avoid burning up the motor. Thanks.

G60GTI said:
98 xj. All of the searches i did seem to focus around the fan cutting out, and then no more air coming out of the vents, going to the defrost vents(vacum related). Mine is a bit different. Last winter I had no problems, blasted heat all winter and barely noticed the fan coming on. Spring rolled around, and knowing that my AC did'nt work, I put a full charge in it. Worked for a couple months pretty well, but slowly became less cold air, probably a small leak. Then one day I turned on the AC and noticed the fan coming on and then shutting off about every 5 seconds. Said F it, and didnt use AC anymore. I had to use the heat the other night and it is doing the same thing, 5 second on, 5 seconds off, but air is still flowing well through the vents. It doesnt matter if I am idling, cruising at 30 or 75, It is always doing it.
Any ideas? It's really annoying, plus I would really like to avoid burning up the motor. Thanks.
What fan are you asking about? The fan for the radiator is suppose to cycle on and off. If your asking about the heater blower, it don't go on and off.

langer1 said:
The fan for the radiator is suppose to cycle on and off.
should it be cycling at that rate though? I have the exact same issue, I didn't notice it for the first 4 years of ownership, it came to me in a traffic jam and it was truly annoying. It was like clockwork, 5 seconds on/off. After searching on this I just chalked it up to it being the normal cycle period and I just didn't hear/realize it until later. Kinda like when someone points out a leak in the faucet and from there on out can't get it the dripping out of your head.

It is annoying to the point where I severly limit my use of the AC because of it....though I annoy easily.

It has been 2 years since I have noticed this, all works fine however I have always had the question in the back of my head if it was indeed normal.

Idiot Wind said:
should it be cycling at that rate though? I have the exact same issue, I didn't notice it for the first 4 years of ownership, it came to me in a traffic jam and it was truly annoying. It was like clockwork, 5 seconds on/off. After searching on this I just chalked it up to it being the normal cycle period and I just didn't hear/realize it until later. Kinda like when someone points out a leak in the faucet and from there on out can't get it the dripping out of your head.

It is annoying to the point where I severly limit my use of the AC because of it....though I annoy easily.

It has been 2 years since I have noticed this, all works fine however I have always had the question in the back of my head if it was indeed normal.
It can, depending on outside temp.If it don't need to run long thats a good thing.

Back