• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Rear Main Seal

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm planning to do my rear main seal and I've read some threads on this forum and internet and it seems there are some differences specifically with the 01 seals vs earlier years. The 01 has two semi circle shaped seal pieces vs one semicircle piece and a semicircle with ears on it for earlier years.

Questions
Are there any other differences I need to be aware of ?
Are there any differences about where you put RTV sealant etc?
When reinstalling do you put Loctite blue etc on the bearing cap bolts, crankshaft brace bolts, starter motor bolts etc ?
Do you need to remove the crankshaft brace?
Any help appreciated this is the first time I'm doing this.

I'd follow your Factory Svs. Manuals advice. I used Mopar for Maintenance Gasket Maker compatible with Al, for the bottom seal. To place the top seal half you'll remove the brace, in order to loosen the bearing caps along the engines length. Makes for an easier install of the top seal. Re-torqueing the caps is to 80ft. lbs. The other sealant is Mopar Silicone RTV between oil pan gasket and engines mating surface. Take your time and you'll get through fine.

Thanks for the info Mechbullxj.
Do you have any advice on whether to use blue loctite / nutlock when installing the cap, brace and starter motor bolts? Or should I just install the bolts dry.

Take your time and you'll get through fine.

A lot of RMSs have been needlessly changed due misinterpreting where the oil is coming from.
Make sure that the leak is not coming from the rear of the valve cover or from a leaky oil filter adapter.
It all flows down and rearward to the same spot where a main seal leak would pool.

If you do pull the pan, let it sit overnight or for a day, to let the majority of the oil drain. It will drip for many hours
It's no fun being 'rained' on by oil dripping off the bottom of the engine. It's one of my least favorite projects.

Another source for engine oil to leak is the rear galley plug, mentioned little. In order to access it the transmission has to be removed, a PITA on par with a RMS change, for those without a stand or lift. I'm still thinking a bit of oil may be leaking there. That or residual as this was a stroked engine swapped in.

Back