• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 91 xj build thread

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
so i figured i'd start a build thread to document my build. it wont be anything too crazy.
started off with a 91 4 door xj, 4wd HO 4.0l, 5spd. had a crappy sagging 4" lift and 31's on it already.
here's how i got it.
6577304929_1d2e2b748b_z.jpg

First thing i did was throw on some shackles to fix the sagging ass end, throw on a rubicon express track bar to fix the busted one, and put in a set of bilstiens all around, and a new set of bfg mud terrains. plus a full tuneup.
then i decided to paint it flat cammo khaki to hide the peeling clearcoat issue.
6540724255_53aa2f518e_z.jpg

then i picked up a donor zj from a member on here which has a 4 link dana 44 rear end and a 3 link front end and a bunch of other goodies. the plan is to stick all the parts onto my xj.
2z81bwn.jpg

and that's about to get disassembled starting today.

wow, paint looks great, did you do it at a shop or yourself? anywho, looks great so far, and a lot of potential. i look forward to updates :cheers:

thanks! just did it myself. it's the rustoleum cammouflage paint, the khaki color.

This should be good with all goodies you scored included with the ZJ.

Dig the khaki paint.
yea, i'm hoping so. wont be as extreme as others on here, but it should be a solid rig for wheeling.
and thanks!

Subscribed

Diggin the xj, I was torn on the khaki tan or od green for mine and went 1/2 od and half flat black...

Just a thought though... seems how the ZJ already has an obvious lift/tires/ hack job and Im assuming motor because the front end isnt a foot higher than the rear, why not cage it to a half buggy and keep the XJ as a sweet DD?

I know this is NAXJA and love my XJ... but if I came across a rig like the ZJ in your picture and only had a few mechanical things to do to it (even a motor swap) I would personally do that.

But either way nice XJ and Ill be keeping an eye on this thread as well!

thanks!
i got the xj specifically as a wheeling machine. i have 3 cars already, i definitely dont need a 4th, and the xj would be the least practical DD out of them all. with that said, i still want to be able to legally drive the xj on the road because driving a saturn every day lowers my self esteem :)
plus swapping the stuff from the zj to the xj is going to be far less work than getting the zj drivable. the dana 30 on the zj would need to be swapped anyways, and the dana 44 would have to be pulled to swap in the e locker and superior axles (i guess it doesnt HAVE to be pulled, but what's 3 bolts?).
Also, my xj is a 5 speed and my zj is an automatic. i kinda like the 5 speed.

thanks!
i got the xj specifically as a wheeling machine. i have 3 cars already, i definitely dont need a 4th, and the xj would be the least practical DD out of them all. with that said, i still want to be able to legally drive the xj on the road because driving a saturn every day lowers my self esteem :)
plus swapping the stuff from the zj to the xj is going to be far less work than getting the zj drivable. the dana 30 on the zj would need to be swapped anyways, and the dana 44 would have to be pulled to swap in the e locker and superior axles (i guess it doesnt HAVE to be pulled, but what's 3 bolts?).
Also, my xj is a 5 speed and my zj is an automatic. i kinda like the 5 speed.

Oh I see, it was just a thought from seeing what was already done to the ZJ.

And I know what you mean on the 5 speed, I miss my manual cars, but I dont miss it on the trails... well rocky trails when Im almost vertical holding three pedals down with two feet lol. But thats just me.

built a bumper this week. i needed something in a hurry so i could flat tow it to the desert behind my van. plus i wanted to use material i already have. i windowed it out in the back so it isnt terribly heavy, weighs in at 42lbs. it's made from 3/16" wall 2x4" tubing. the brackets are for my tow bar, and it has a 2" reciever welded in. the brackets are 3/16" angle iron for now, but i'm going to build some beefier ones pretty soon.
6644016345_ce2076fa24_z.jpg

6644072681_638bd48b49_z.jpg

6644100813_0a28c77f8e_z.jpg

Very nice XJ. looks like you are off to a great start. Wish I could follow you on that khaki paint but my XJ is the "wife's" XJ. Is that paint job from a rattle can?

i am for the time being, like i said i still need to make brackets for it. it's only temporarily on at the moment.

so i got the zj i bought for parts mostly stripped down. i got the dana 44 taken apart and ready for the elocker and chromoly axles to go in. i scored a set of disk brakes from an explorer for it, so i'll be putting those on.
so i've been thinking about rear springs and i'm considering coilovers, since i'll have the 3 link. however, i'm not sure what i should go with for length and brand/model. i was looking at these: http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/113/sfID3/98/productID/116

but i havent figured out a length yet. i'm planning on sticking with 4-5" of lift, and i'm hoping to be able to flex the hell of it. anyone have any experience with these shocks?

i ordered some fox coilovers for the rear, i went with 16" of travel. with the rear end totally flexed out on the donor jeep (axle sitting on bump stops on one side and fully extended on the other), it was right about 16" of difference. i went with 9" of exposed shaft since that's about how far it'll go before it hits the bump stops. does this sound about right?
i also started making rock rails today. i'm going for more of a lower profile design since i'm not going to be lifted very much. i nearly done tacking together one side, i just have a few small changes to make before i can tig it together. the second side will be much easier since i can just make a mirror image.

Back