• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about Santa Clarita

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of taking a one year contract in Santa Clarita. I will need a place to live. What can you tell me about the area?

Santa Clarita is a "bedroom" community of LA. It grew up big time in the late 70s. We looked to buy a house there, but instead decided to move to upstate NY.

Prices are cheaper than LA proper, but still expensive to my standards. It's mostly homes; I'm not sure what there is as far as apartments or condos are concerned. On the other hand, my data is 30 years old. I do, however, have a brother in law that lives in Santa Clarita, so I could probably find out more info for you.

David Bricker / SYR

Just great, all we need is another UOB yelling at the clouds.

Its hot there for sure, and over the last couple of years its gotten fairly expensive. If you want to leave the area and head down into los angeles proper you can expect a buttload of traffic.

Its a nice area though. Make sure you look not only at housing costs but availability before you accept a contract rate.

I grew up in the desert so heat isn't a problem. I haven't gotten an offer yet. I would like to find a very small house or one bedroom apartment. I would even look at renting a room in the right situation. I would like to keep it under $1000 - $1500 a month. I would need a place to securely park my teardrop.

I grew up in the desert so heat isn't a problem. I haven't gotten an offer yet. I would like to find a very small house or one bedroom apartment. I would even look at renting a room in the right situation. I would like to keep it under $1000 - $1500 a month. I would need a place to securely park my teardrop.

That may be a tough set of circumstances. That area is more commonly full of big detached houses rather than apartment buildings. If you move South toward Los Angeles you'll be mostly going against traffic going to Santa Clarita in the morning and Los Angeles in the evening, FYI.

That may be a tough set of circumstances. That area is more commonly full of big detached houses rather than apartment buildings. If you move South toward Los Angeles you'll be mostly going against traffic going to Santa Clarita in the morning and Los Angeles in the evening, FYI.

Avoid Pacoima and much of Sun Valley.

David Bricker / SYR

Still working on getting the offer. How far will $1500 a month go for rent?

Maybe you could find a small apartment for that:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/apa?query=Santa+Clarita&availabilityMode=0

Looks comparable to my neighborhood. A 3/2 house should go for $2,500 and up. $1,500 might get you a granny flat above someone's garage, or something along those lines.

Housing prices are the biggest challenge out here.

On the other hand, you won't have to spend much (if anything) for heating.

For $150 a month you can sleep in a tent in my backyard. Only about 2 hours from L.A.

For that he could put his teardrop in mine. AND he'd fit right in in the 909.
:D

Back