• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Synthetic Oil Joy

xj9687

NAXJA Forum User
This really isn't a question or anything just a testimonial towards synthetic oil. I started off 1.5 years ago running synthetic blend Q from quaker state in my jeep the sub and 4x4 stuff. my jeep seemed to run better but it still seemed to be moist under the oil filter and oil pan when i changed oil. I ran that for a year and finally made the change to the full synthetic stuff about 3000 miles ago. I had to get up under my jeep the other day and everything was dry. No oil anywhere as well as the bottom of the oil filter. Just thought id leave this for anyone who is thinking about switching to synthetic. I was a big skeptic but now im a believer that stuff really works!

i have been running castrol syntec full 10w30 ever since the jeep left the lot with k and n filters every 3k... i even put in a bottle of stp oil conditioner in the blue bottle... probally a placebo effect but i have had no engine problems at all runs great with 92 k - 1999

Castrol Syntec 10w30/Mopar filters from day one. Change the oil every 10-20K. Sitting at 192,000 miles right now and I have to add one quart between changes mostly due to the CCV grommits leaking. Runs like a top.

I recently switched over to Wal-Mart SuperTech Full Synthetic. I dont really notice and difference in they way the motor runs over dino oil, but im sure its better oil.

Once I change out my rear main, oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket I will be running full synthetic and I have 200k. At 179k I switched over to the high mileage synthetic blend stuff and it runs great, Fram filter & 7 quarts every 3k just because of the oil leaks, about 1 quart every 3k...

I've ran Rotella synthetic 5w40 in my 2000 WJ 4.0 for 3 years & recently installed a new renix 4.0 in my 87 XJ. I change filter @ 4000, and oil @ 8000. No problems I love the stuff.

Zoro said:
Once I change out my rear main, oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket I will be running full synthetic and I have 200k. At 179k I switched over to the high mileage synthetic blend stuff and it runs great, Fram filter & 7 quarts every 3k just because of the oil leaks, about 1 quart every 3k...

I also reccomend changing the O-rings on the oil boss while you're at it

I use regular 10w40 in my jeep. In my yota however, I run mobil one 5w30 fully snythetic...I change it every 3000 and it's the same golden color when it comes out as the day I poured it in. The mobil is some expensive oil (around $6.00 a quart) but it makes me feel better using it anway.

doesn't eat seals; it simply breaks loose the "gunk" that collects at your seals exposing leaks that are already there. Bunch of great discussions I've come across by searching "synthetic oil".

-Jay

i run amsoil in both of my jeeps (95XJ 170,000miles and my 97TJ 130,000miles)

the 95 is leak free, and the 97 has the normal 4.0L leaks.
i don't leave it in as long as amsoil says i can, because i use my vehicles very hard. i get their best syn oil and do a filter change at 6K and full oil/filter change at 12k.

when i first started using it, i noticed a slight engine temp drop, and it started ALOT easier during the winter.

i now run amsoil in EVERYTHING, engine/tranny/t-case/diffs.

i also compared the cost to when i was running mobil one, and it comes out cheaper running the amsoil.

90xj06 said:
i've been thinking of running that through my summer car but i heard that it eats the oil seals
Like mentioned, it doesn't eat seals. Maybe cleaning gunk away from seals contributes some to a little more leaking, IMHO, I don't think that so common.

Synthetic Oil flows easier for the same viscousity conventional oil, plus the molecue is engineered to be "POLAR" meaning its attracted to metal and clings to it, even climbs up it.

Thus, a slight leak, may have a little more synthetic leak out of it than conventional oil. Part because the synthetic will flow easier letting more out, part because its "POLAR" and wicks it way thru small opening in seals much better when the motor isn't running.

For those using Castrol Syntec, interesting reading;

http://www.twoguysgarage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7284

The most important post quoted below.

Mobil 1 uses a 100% completely synthetic PAO (Poly Alpha Olephin) Group-V base stock. Mobil invented this technology back in the fifties, and they have always used the 'true' synthetic formula.
Castrol 'Syntec', as originally sold in America back in the late eighties/early nineties, was NOT a true synthetic, even though it was advertised as such.
The Castrol product used a group-III/IV base stock which is derived from natural petroleum/crude oil sources.
The lawsuit brought by Mobil against Castrol resulted in the decision that Castrol was indeed allowed to call thier product 'full synthetic' based on the fact that Castrol claimed it's base stocks recieved further refining processes, at the molecular level, than did 'normal' conventional base stocks.
This very, very refined base stock very closely approched the performance of a full PAO synthetic, so the US 'guv' decided that (paraphrasing here)" If it does the same thing, whats the difference"?, and allowed Castrol to call it synthetic.
The European government does not allow Castrol to sell this product as synthetic there...it carries a different name.
In ExxonMobil in-house tests, the Castrol product is very close to the Mobil 1 product in all areas except:
1)Phosphorous and Sulfer content, which are the main contributors to sludge formation. It comes from the crude oil, and is extremely difficult to remove completely. Mobil 1 has ZERO of these components, making it almost 100% resistant to sludge formation.
2)Mineral-oil is very susceptibale to high-temperature oxidation, creating...sludge and varnish. It also reatins heat and reduces lubricity. Mobil's PAO technology is almost 100% resistant to high-temperature oxidation. Once again, no sludge formation...with better gas mileage to boot!
3) Mobil 1 uses less additives overall (by percentage), meaning more actual oil 'in the mix', creating a cooler running engine, and producing better gas mileage.

And no, I am not on ExxonMobil's payroll, I just know whicjh is a better product overall.
If the Castrol product was a little less expensive thasn the Mobil 1, that would be OK, since it is far less expensive to produce.
Unfortunately, Castrol markets for near the same price as Mobil 1, while they have a much larger profit margin.

I'll stick with Mobil 1

Interstingly, Amsoil, who used to buy thier base stocks exclusively from Mobil, now buys thier base stocks from the lowest bidder, and are consequently now using G-III/IV base stocks in thier 'synthetic' oil.

The Syntec is still superior oil, you haven't hurt your engine using it, but if your going to spend the same amount of money, why not get the better product?

Oh, BTW, years ago Pat Bedard (from Car&Driver) exposed Castrol Syntec for what it was, and noted that Castrol was bragging to industry insiders that it had cut it costs in half using crude oil based stock for Syntec, BUT they kept the same price as Mobil1, for a huge profit margin.

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns...nthetic-motor-oil-gets-all-new-semantics.html

Back