• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

synthetic in Ax-5

tigerpaw

NAXJA Forum User
I have a AX-5 that has about 190k and is a little hard shifting when hot, but otherwise ok.I had great success with a Mazda R-1 5 speed(F series truck) with some shifting problems by changing over to full synthetic Mobil 1 gear oil. What does anyone think of this?Had several Ax-5 and Ax-15 did fine through 250k with regular gear oil.is there any real advantage or is it not necessary? this is in a 2.5 and no boats etc are towed etc.

I put royal purple in my old YJ with the ax-5 @ 150k miles. It went from hard to get into first and reverse to shifting better than my XJ with 25k miles.

Most manual trans require some sort of friction modifier for the Synchros to engage properly.

Gear Oil, conventional or synthetic, does NOT have friction modifiers and that can cause problems with the Synchros, if it isn't shifting problems it could be wear. Gear Lube is NOT for Limited Slip Differentials either, you either have to add friction modifier or get a fluid specifically for LSD. Not sure on AX-5/AX-15 seen different opinions, but I figure, get a good fluid that has friction modifier in it, it can't hurt to have a fluid formulated to work with Synchros instead of a Fluid formulate for GEARS ONLY. There are plenty of manual trans out there, that if you use a Gear/Motor Oil without any Friction Modifiers, you'll have all sorts of shifting problems, if NOT damage the Syncrhos. But I haven't tried it in an AX-5, so I don't know if its one of them.

Do a search, there are several threads discussing all of this, as well listing suggestions as to good fluids to use.

Another point, there is some confusion on the fluid for the AX-5/AX-15 and GL-5 being recommended, IT IS NOT, it was mistakenly put in some of the owner manuals and pubs about the vehicle. The AX-5/AX-15 recommended is a GL-3 based fluid. GL-5 has additives that can be corrosive to the synchros if it gets hot enough. Same with GL-4 to a lesser degree.

I have used Redline MTL in other vehicles with great results, seen lots of recommendations to use Redline MT90 (a slightly thicker version of MTL) on this board. Both have the Friction Modifiers for Synchros that I was talking about. This is a GL-4 Fluid, but the Redline Literature says that it will NOT become corrosive to brass/bronze Synchros until it gets to something insane like 450°. Others have given Redline MT90 the thumbs up on this board as well.

I have 4 quarts of Redline MT90 in my garage, waiting to be swapped into my AX-5, I'll let everyone know the results.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, I was going to put the Mobil 1 gear lube in or the Royal Purple .My only experience was using the Mobil 1 in a Ford F150 with the mazda R-1 5 spd., It did quieten it down and was easier to shift.

tigerpaw said:
Thanks for all the info, I was going to put the Mobil 1 gear lube in or the Royal Purple .My only experience was using the Mobil 1 in a Ford F150 with the mazda R-1 5 spd., It did quieten it down and was easier to shift.

Your alternatives are: Dealer supplied OEM lube at $17 a quart, Redline, old stock Mobil-1 pre GL5 rated, they changed the mix about 4 or 5 years ago to GL5. You need to read the bottle though. I bought 2 cases in 99 for my 98 and have used it all up. Have Redline to go in next time I have it up on a lift.
Check Royal Purples web site for their stuff, I've been reading that they now have a Gl3/4 rated lube. Other sources are out there, Nissan and Toyota plus some others use asin trannies.
My son replaced his YJ's AX and used Amsoil as his friend who is an amsoil rep said it was OK :smsoap: , I looked at the gallon jug and it says GL5, I'm hoping it holds long enough till he gets a new TJ.

Back