• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does your steering wheel return mostly to center?

Criver12

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, does your XJ's steering wheel return completely or mostly to center? I have a 99' XJ where the steering is stiff between the 1030-130 position. It does not return completely to center after turns. The return to center is stronger at speed but it still gets stuck between those positions.

On any other vehicle I had the steering tends to move around a bit with road imperfections... keeping the vehicle straight. The XJ doesn't seem to do that.

If I turn slightly between the mentioned wheel positions. (going around a fast curve like on the highway) the steering will stay in that position unless I manually move it back to center. I haven't experienced this on my 05' LJ that I had.

Assuming the mechanical parts are in good condition, adding more caster to the alignment should help the wheel to return to center.
Have you lifted your Cherokee? XJs lose caster as they are lifted.

Is it different between cold and hot? Sounds like your steering gear is either badly worn or misadjusted.

I had the same issue on my 93, steering linkage wasn’t slid far enough onto stearing gear spline causing the ujoint in the steering linkage to bind.

There doesn't seem to be any difference between hot and cold. I know the drag link/ends, tie rod and tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, track bar, front axle u joints, ball joints, rotors, wheel bearings, and brake pads were all replaced 2000mi ago. They are not greaseable.

Nothing before the steering gear was touched ( that I know of). I don't think the jeep had the issue before all those front end parts were replaced.

I marked the adjuster on the steering gear and then tried several adjustments, slightly tighter, slightly looser...etc. I put it back to where it was as there was no difference in the return to center... just more sloppy steering.

Give it some time for the ball joints to break in. I've done some aftermarkets that where so tight it took almost 5000 miles to loosen up.

Give it some time for the ball joints to break in. I've done some aftermarkets that where so tight it took almost 5000 miles to loosen up.

I guess tight new ball joints make sense. I've tried to check them and it seems that the new lower ball joints are way stiffer than the uppers. I think the ball joints used were from 1aauto.

Back