• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to press really hard for brakes to work

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry guys i tried to search but i cant seem to make out the words....anyways

I have noticed over the last month that my braking has gotten worse on my 92 XJ with abs. Its at the point now that i need to press down really hard to make the jeep slow down and when i hit the brakes hard the e-brake light turns on. I know my rear drums are pretty low but i think it might be the master cyclinder. What do u guys think? Is this showing signs of somthing else?

The brake light coming on is an indication from your pressure sensor that there is a difference in pressure between the front and rear brakes, usually indicating some sort of leak. You need to check the calipers and wheel cylinders for leaks, although most common is a leaky wheel cylinder.
I replaced my master cylinder when this happened, but I ended up blowing the wheel cylinder that was leaking in the first place.

Back