• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

kind of weird...(radiator related...)

5spd_xj

<<the good ol days
NAXJA Member
hey, recently i noticed my 95 cherokee was leaking a little bit of coolant...not very much at all, just enough to make a small puddle after parking it each time...after looking it over, i figured out that the bottom corner of the rad. seems to be cracked. so, i ordered a new one and will be swapping it on tuesday. however, as of yesterday it hasn't been leaking at all that i can notice. how come??? could the rad. have plugged itself up somehow? it's got the coolant topped off, or at least extremely close to topped off, and still no noticeable puddles ....???? just a fluke or what? i'm really not worried about it because i already have the new one ready to go with new upper and lower hoses, but i was just a little bewildered by the situation, and wondered if anyone could shed some light/opinions on the subject? thanks in advance.....

when my radiator had the same issue it looked to have like calcuim built up around the leaking area

that might be it? but i could just be way off

yea i have no clue...just looking for people's two cents...you could be right on the money haha who knows...once i get it out i'll post here what was up with it and let cha all know...

Once you get it out, you'll likely see the leak. A common spot is the upper right hand (inside) corner, where the cross channels go to the end tank. It trickles down the right side of the radiator. It may plug itself up temporarily on occasion, most coolant has a small leak additive (Prestone for one), that helps a bit.
If the radiator isn't full of calcium and in pretty good shape, you can pull out some of the fins with a pair of needle nosed pliers (doesn't hurt anything, it's a very small part of the total surface area), clean it up (rough it up, sand it or find a really small round wire brush) the cross channels and end tank and fill it full of JB weld and have yourself a fairly good spare radiator.
I've JB welded radiators and had it last for five years or more, it just depends on how clean you get it and if you manage to rough it up good.
Sounds primitive, but works, use a small piece of tubing to make ahole through a small potato. Stuff a potato in the inlet and oulet hole, use a bicycle tire pump to put some pressure into the radiator (it doesn't take much). Pour a small amount of dishwashing soap and water mix around where you think the leak may be, look for the bubbles.
I've since found a set of rubber stoppers (that fit) for my Jeep radiators, but used potatos for years.

thanks for the plan :)

Back