• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moving an auto shifter

bluexj89

NAXJA Forum User
After my near flop by not being able to pop Blue into reverse fast enough I have decided to remount the shifter at a more comfortable and usablw place. Can this be done with the stock shifter or can I use an aftermarket shifter easily? I am not worried about the stock console or e-brake handle. That is what line locks are for.

Mark

if the cable lengths allow, you can put it any where you want.

actually, i think you have a good idea there!

when yer buckled in, especially in a harness, it is hard to reach he shifter....

you are probably aware that theres two cables...one for the shifter, one for the park inter-lock.

IIRC, there is a wee bit of slop in there...

the only thing i can't answer is how to do this without gankin' your centercolumn.

Well I started the process. I am not to worried about the center column the ignition swich cable is no problem either I disconected that and will not rehook it. I don't know about the linkage yet I think there might be enough length but I am not sure I may just get a B&M cable shifter and go from there.

Well I am a bit closer to getting the shifter moved. It might be a bit ghetto but it will be more functional. The cable is plenty long but I think it will have to be rerouted. I have moved it back 6" with out modifying the cable or routeing, but that isn't far enogh for me.

Please post some pics. I hate how far the shifter is forward also.

One Q:

The cable that goes to the column, does that control the ability to start the jeep in only park and netrual. Can it be set / removed / jammed to start in any gear??????

or is that the switch on the side of the tranny.

Don't know much of this juice box stuff yet.
:D

mark

The cable from what I am seeing only locks the shifter when the key is in the off position. but the cable that shifts the transmission is longer than you could imagine!it actually goes into the engine between the brake booster and the fender it might have to be moved so the length will work but the is plenty of cable there. As far as pics go don't laugh at my ghetto fab when I get closer! :cool:

Back