• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Countdown to Moab!

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Wow, it's less than 3 months til the big event! Start saving up your gas money now! Here's the SoCal lineup so far AFAIK.

Remi
Santa
Josh
JohnX
Rick
Matty
Prater
Islander
Felix
FordGuy
Slowrider
Me

Who else is going? And what needs to be done to your Jeeps?

I was toying with the idea of making Marvin my trail rig before then. But it looks like I'll be busy helping Curt switch everything over from his beatup longbed MJ to his shortbed MJ. So I'll be taking the XJ, and it's all ready to go right now.

The planned event runs look like they may get pretty full really fast. So Rich and I were talking about doing a couple of "unofficial" runs with the SoCal gang.

But by all means, sign up for some of the organized runs. Part of the experience is wheeling with fellow members from all over the country...and the world. I'll be leading the Steel Bender run on Wednesday.

And don't forget - Remi will need our assistance with registration and tech inspections. And Rick may need our help with the big Friday night dinner.

The registration form is up in the 25th Anniversary event forum. So sign up before September 2.

I'm getting excited. :yelclap:

I'm stoked for it. I get back from Catalina Sept 7th and I have parts piled up at home to install. Here's whats on tap:

Rebuilding my Turdy with 297x shafts, aussie locker, ball joints, unit bearings
New UCAs
T/C Skid
SYE
New a/c compressor so I dont sweat the whole way out.

I wonder if I"ll be able to get any test runs in before going to Moab with all the work I have to do. If anything, install parties!

Also have to make my before/after reservations... meeting the g/f in Vegas on the way back for the weekend, and need somewhere to crash Sunday on the drive up.

So do we want to invest in some So Cal chapter rocks moab shirts made for the people going??? You know we could have the best shirts! I know I can't wheel good, but I can make shirts and I can keep my Jeep clean!

Count me in Twinkie, I mean Johnny. Gotta armor up though. Rails are ordered. Need to install my Rock Lizard bumper and JKS disco's.
Rich..shirts would be great. And I'm willing to help out in Moab, whatever is needed.

FordGuy said:
So do we want to invest in some So Cal chapter rocks moab shirts made for the people going??? You know we could have the best shirts! I know I can't wheel good, but I can make shirts and I can keep my Jeep clean!
I've invested in a lot of bad stuff but if you come up with it Rich/Kim count me in, and everyone knows us so.cal folks can't wheel......SANTA

IslanderOffRoad said:
and need somewhere to crash Sunday on the drive up.

Mesquite used to be the place to stop for the night. You could get a room for $20. But not anymore.

And St. George used to be inexpensive too. Now, Cedar City has the cheapest rooms.

Remi
Santa
Josh
JohnX
Rick
Matty
Prater
Islander
Felix
FordGuy
Slowrider
DanWho
Me

FYI: Rabbit is coming to.

Jeeps.. well... my jeep is now on jackstands sans the front pumpkin insides. Also steering setup needs work/redesign. So... hopefully I"ll get that done this weekend. Appart from that, there's the regular list of things... Oh yeah, my tire mount has one of the bolts broken off inside on the hinge... grrrr....

FordGuy said:
I think I'd be interested :D

xjohnnyc said:
Mesquite used to be the place to stop for the night. You could get a room for $20. But not anymore.

And St. George used to be inexpensive too. Now, Cedar City has the cheapest rooms.

I was thinking Mesquite or St George. I'm guessing I'd be the youngest person in Mesquite :D

Maybe Vegas just depends how far I feel like driving each day.

xjohnnyc said:
The planned event runs look like they may get pretty full really fast. So Rich and I were talking about doing a couple of "unofficial" runs with the SoCal gang.
Yup, unoficial runs are fun :D
But by all means, sign up for some of the organized runs. Part of the experience is wheeling with fellow members from all over the country...and the world. I'll be leading the Steel Bender run on Wednesday.
Official ones are also great :) Oh yeah, and I"m leading cliffhanger some weekday :)
And don't forget - Remi will need our assistance with registration and tech inspections.
Yup :) SoCal has done registrations for the past.... oh lets just say a lot of years. This year is going to be another big one so we'll need help :D It'd be nice if everyone could take a turn or two at the registration table. Job will be easy: have them fill out a form, collect some $ and do a tech inspection (great excuse to look under someone elses hood and nitpick on their stuff :D
And Rick may need our help with the big Friday night dinner.
Yeah, he'll probably need some help too ;)

Sweet...looks like SoCal will be well represented.

Remi
Santa
Josh
JohnX
Rick
Matty
Prater
Islander
Felix
FordGuy
Slowrider
DanWho
Rabbit
Karstic
Me

Kejtar said:
Why? it's an easy 1 day drive... as long as it's not snowing along the way :D

Yeah, but my reservation is Monday night. I'd like to get there early Monday to poke around.

Kejtar said:
FYI: Rabbit is coming to.

Jeeps.. well... my jeep is now on jackstands sans the front pumpkin insides. Also steering setup needs work/redesign. So... hopefully I"ll get that done this weekend. Appart from that, there's the regular list of things... Oh yeah, my tire mount has one of the bolts broken off inside on the hinge... grrrr....

No wonder my post count is so low. People allways post for me!!!!
Thanks Remi. Like he siad, I should be there providing there are no major complications. Thats one hell uv a 11 hour drive!!!

Eleven hours is nothing. You just have to break it down into shorter sections in your head. LA -> Vegas -> Cedar City -> 15/70 junction -> Moab.

A couple years ago, I drove 26 hours straight from Whistler B.C. to get home. Of course, I did have a co-driver, but we both ended up driving 13 hours. Now THAT was a brutal drive. :)

Remi
Santa
Josh
JohnX
Rick
Matty
Prater
Islander
Felix
FordGuy
Slowrider
DanWho
Rabbit
Karstic
Mark W
Me

I am still planning on going.

I have the time off of work. I will get my Jeep back on the road this week.

I might have to take out a loan for gas though... LOL

Put me down for the shirt Rich - great idea!

What day are folks planning on going?

I am thinking of leaving on Tuesday afternoon/evening and driving as far as I can for the night. I will be leaving on Sat night and stopping in Vegas to see a buddy there.

xjohnnyc said:
Eleven hours is nothing. You just have to break it down into shorter sections in your head. LA -> Vegas -> Cedar City -> 15/70 junction -> Moab.

The seat time doesn't bug me... its more looking at when that seat time will fall and where I'll end up.

Should be getting back from Catalina that Sunday at approx 2pm, Leaving by 4. Figure if I do half the drive that night, stop, sleep, then do the rest it will work well for getting into town when I want without falling asleep at the wheel.

xjohnnyc said:

A couple years ago, I drove 26 hours straight from Whistler B.C. to get home. Of course, I did have a co-driver, but we both ended up driving 13 hours. Now THAT was a brutal drive. :)

Ah, you young guys........We're staying in St.George the 1st night. That's about as far as my butt will take.:laugh3:

Back