• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what lockers you guys running up here in northwest?

93xj-jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, im just trying to find out what lockers you guys are running if front/rear, automatic/selectable, both, etc.

my xj is about to get regeared and lifted with 33s (currently 31s and open) and i definately would like to put in at least one locker, whether it be front or rear.

basically, what im trying to decide is if up here on our trails (evens creek, elbe hills, etc.) type terrain what locker i should put in and if i should go front or rear. i have heard if i put in like an automatic locker in the rear that the rear will tend to slide a lot on offcamber sections which would not be good for wheeling like evens. thats why i was comteplating just the front for now, but im trying to take into considerations the snow too.

ultimately, i would like to run arb's, but i really just can afford it :bawl:

what do you guys think/run. thanks a lot.

BTW, i have 8.25 and d30.

I`m running a Lock-rite in the front D-30 and a power lock limited slip in the rear D-44 4.10 gears and currently 33-9.50 tires.The only time I here any noise out of the front locker is turning tight in parking lots. I get the limited slip chatter from the rear when taking the first turn from a stop after getting off the freeway. For all normal driving on the street , no noise, no problem.I don`t use my xJ for a daily driver[ 3000 miles from Oct.04] for the 3 years this combo has worked.

Lock-Rights front and rear with a TeraLow 231 2Low kit in the t-case....this has been a perfect setup for places like Evan's.

Have run a Lock Right in my front 30 for 4 years now. I installed it with 30x9.50 BFG ATs and 3" lift, which took me all over the place. Now I'm at about 6" or so with 33" Goodyear MT/Rs and am getting ready to put a No-Slip in the rear. Reason for putting the front locker first had nothing to do with daily driving, but was from listening to the Jedi masters. ;) Man, I've been on trails with guys rear lockers only and it sure was interesting to see how much gas pedal they needed to climb up on something, whereas I can roll up to it and bring my RPMs up just a little...and be on top of the obstacle. I learned to wheel with finesse, not a right foot locker.

Fact of the matter is that everyone does things differently, with different goals in mind when wheeling. For some they giggle and joke with each other about breakages, while some of us go through the same places with a more technical approach...with NOT doing ANY damage being our goal. Some argue that a Dana 30 front is not strong enough to 'pull' you over something, and that a rear axle is stronger to 'push' you over. I did a LOT of wheeling in the first 2 years with that locker and speaking from experience, I don't buy into that theory.

Now, weather permitting, I'm going to install that locker today. :)

cool guys, thanks for your replies.

i think i will go with a front lock right then, and just stay open for a while in the rear. what do you guys think of your front lock rights in the snow. handle ok?

93xj-jeeper said:
what do you guys think of your front lock rights in the snow. handle ok?

In all honesty, that's one area where I wish I could afford ARBs. One of the compromises you make with a mechanical locker is that snow/ice/mud are completely different animals. Just a fact of life we have to live with. ;)

I have a LR front and for the money it's tought to beat. Given the choice I'd defintaly go ARB front and detroit rear, but you already knew that ;)

I'm also running a lock right up front. You can't beat it for $250. I'm running a Detroit in the rear for now. Getting ready to regear the 44 I bought, but I can't decide what locker to run. I'm on a tight budget this time around.

I have ARB's. I love them, as long as i'm going straight. But if i need to turn while the ARB's are on, well i think a loaded Kenworth pullin doubles has a tighter turning radius. The best thing about them though is the abilitly to engage the front or rear indepentantly (i wired them myself and did not follow ARB's directions) so by doing this i can get the front or rear to slip downhill to help take a corner a little tighter.

Just for the record I have a D44 front, full float D60 rear and 4.56's and overall i'm very happy with the performance.

Dingo

I am waiting until Aussie Locker has a unit for the 8.25. Or I will collect enough cash to get the ARB's front and rear.

I'm a fan of Detroit True-Tracs, and have had very good luck with them in my XJ, ZJ, and CJ5. Also use lock hubs on the front, main reason being for snow/slushy roads in the winter so I don't get weird steering issues on highways.

i was running ARB and welded 30/44 alxes, now im abut to put in a HP44 with lockright and a 31 spline 9" with a spool, 5:13's should be nice:D

Back