• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone successfully installed the River Raider intake kit?

ChuckQue

NAXJA Forum User
As the title says, has anyone had any luck with this system? I have their universal kit in hand and I’m stumped. I figured I could mount the air filter box using the lower half of the factory air cleaner box as a base, but am unable to visualize a way to route everything. If anyone has this setup could you throw up a photo or two? Debating on returning it and just caving in for a K&N. I’m running the THOR right now and am wanting to ditch it, I cannot handle the high pitched whistling it makes under throttle, it’s ear splitting.

Have not heard of the system.
Maybe post some pictures if what your dealing with.

River wader. To me that's a product to steer clear of on name alone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

First I've heard of them also. Looks like they're Humvee style expedition snorkels made by Hauk Offroad. I see a picture of one of these kits on an XJ on pinterest but they now only offer the kit for newer Wranglers.

https://haukoffroad.com/snorkels/expedition-snorkel-kits/

About the THOR, I read a comment on one of the FB groups that somebody had retrofitted a cabin filter onto the HVAC air intake, which drastically reduced cowl intake noises. I've never seen anybody else do that or heard of any other talk of it. Maybe something worth investigating? Do some research and report back so I can copy the idea. :D

I think he said the filter he used was for a Porsche.

Before installing the RR intake on an XJ, since you’re located in California, you may want to check the CARB website to be sure it’s approved for that application, if you haven’t done that already. If it’s not approved for use on an XJ, you’ll have a bitch of a time getting your rig to pass a smog inspection.

Last edited:
Seems like it’s not worth the trouble to try to shoehorn this system in. Shame, because i do like the overall design and the construction of the parts seems to be very good.

I’ll look into the cabin air filter idea. Thank you everyone!

Back