• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Chains Specifically for Sticky Mud

Lost_Wrench

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for advice or info for using chains in clay-type mud. I live in an area of Southern Colorado where the unmaintained Forest Service Roads become impassable when saturated. The roads rarely even require 4wd when dry, but when wet they will pack your tread full of sticky clay (you know the kind) and become so slick that you are basically stranded until it dries. That or you could winch yourself out however many miles of road you've gone in.

Would Vbar Chains be a solution? How much would it help?

This would NOT be for deep mud holes or deep ruts. Just basically dirt roads that when wet will pack your tread immediately and cause you to slide around endlessly as opposed to digging yourself deeper. It's almost like it's just the top few inches of soil that are wet and sticky - so you don't really dig deep by spinning - but it's just enough to make your tires useless.

I'm not looking to go mudding, this would just be a backup system of extraction in the scenario I just described. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back