• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MELKOR's 09 CRAWL PICS...

l_fd919670f8184804ab9c69db0bec19ab.jpg

l_b82aa36b97d14178be1f0a3a36d33cd6.jpg

l_fe5bd8f8d07240298eb0f14fb09b131a.jpg

l_ff30404795fb44c680a667d525de7372.jpg

l_123fe24fb0824b2ea80f45fa9f467155.jpg

l_9dd1c97fa4ff4b18bf9ef8bf7cbf93b7.jpg

l_9afb1c13c61a4d6cbc9db7a9d5b884be.jpg

l_fe057ede55584eb7a156d622a806e78b.jpg

l_5a0cf948b76a4dc5ad5a28330da564ed.jpg

l_ee7dbbc528054bf0a5c3ecae65dadb8e.jpg

l_751954f66faa479fb3b8542c5d5a1578.jpg

...not bad; 490 pics posted, and no interuptions :) :clap: :)

...and i made it to PAGE 2 all by myself!

Last edited:
Great job Dan!!

Nicely done! Can you send me a disk of the ones you have of me?

Sweet high-angle stock knuckles!:eek:

But seriously Glen, what was flexing/moving that wasn't supposed to be in these photos (panhard mounts maybe?). The shafts were obviously at full bind but somewhere something else would have to be moving significantly it would seem.

Looks like something (aside from the obviously bound shaft/joint) was very close to going 'pop' :explosion: . And that could be disastrous in an off-camber situation.

P.S. Congrats to Glen on finishing another buzzer-beater Crawl build and not breaking it this time around :laugh:

Last edited:
Sweet high-angle stock knuckles!:eek:

But seriously Glen, what was flexing/moving that wasn't supposed to be in these photos (panhard mounts maybe?). The shafts were obviously at full bind but somewhere something else would have to be moving significantly it would seem.

Looks like something (aside from the obviously bound shaft/joint) was very close to going 'pop' :explosion: . And that could be disastrous in an off-camber situation.
Actually the shafts were not at full bind. I am running an xj pitman arm with the highsteer arm. It will not turn lock to lock becasu they have a different throw. As far as I can tell from the pictures and what it felt like nothing was binding. I believe that was taken when I was backing up to try and get the drivers tire in the right position. The rock kept pushing the tire left of the hole I wanted it in. Matt was there helping and watching maybe he can chime in. I was too busy driving and trying to get it where I wanted it to go. As for the panhard bar mount flexin, I dont think so. You can see it in one of the picture and it looks fine. I will check it out though and make sure it is tight. I did loose the rubber part of the bumpstop so I'm guessing it was compressing more then it should have. Maybe I should check that shock and see if it was pushed through the unibody.

In the second pic- It looks like the side-loading from the bending spring snapped the bumpstop off. The u-joint/shafts on the driver's side looks to be at or very near maxed out.

The steering stops should make contact before the axle shaft hits its max operating angle. When the shaft binds under load, the spicer joints will probably give out.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like the setup worked well for you and I know you all had a great time. I'm just trying to help you ensure you spend time on the trail wheeling instead of wrenching.

HTH:thumbup:

In the second pic- It looks like the side-loading from the bending spring snapped the bumpstop off. The u-joint/shafts on the driver's side looks to be at or very near maxed out.

The steering stops should make contact before the axle shaft hits its max operating angle. When the shaft binds under load, the spicer joints will probably give out.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like the setup worked well for you and I know you all had a great time. I'm just trying to help you ensure you spend time on the trail wheeling instead of wrenching.

HTH:thumbup:
The bumpstop was removed on an earlyer trail that is why it compressed more then it should have. The throw of the steering box is shorter then the throw of the knuckles. It will not over steer and bind because of this. The setup worked fairly well but the front is unloading bad, and the rear is doing the same on steep climbs. I want it to go up steep slick rock at a crawl and do not want to wheelie up them. :eek: LOL! So I do have some thinks to straighten out. TY though I do appreciate your advise.

sounds like it may be time for some Harbor freight suckdown winches to assist in the unloading...

I am just glad to see that you guys used MAPP gas instead of Propane. (being a plumber) that made my day.

thanks guys!!!

...that was a little over 1/3 of my pics, and i feel i covere'd about everything :)

Glen, that last spot with all the flex and binding was rediculous!!! very incredible to see an XJ do that!

thanks guys!!!

...that was a little over 1/3 of my pics, and i feel i covere'd about everything :)

Glen, that last spot with all the flex and binding was rediculous!!! very incredible to see an XJ do that!
That was fun. I love that kiinda stuff. Sure glad my rear DS decided to hold till the campground. :laugh3:

Back