• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Delete?

HighTechTerror

NAXJA Forum User
Let me start off by saying how outstanding this site is! :yelclap: I can not tell you how many times in the past few months how many times I have found exactly what i needed when i started modifying my 1998 XJ.

One thing i recently have started thinking about is removing the AC compressor from the engine bay. The system has not worked for several years and one estimate to have it repaired was in excess of $800!!! I have survived w/o AC for several years, and do not see that changing.

Any thoughts, or concerns I should know before attempting to remove it?

Let me start off by saying how outstanding this site is! :yelclap: I can not tell you how many times in the past few months how many times I have found exactly what i needed when i started modifying my 1998 XJ.

One thing i recently have started thinking about is removing the AC compressor from the engine bay. The system has not worked for several years and one estimate to have it repaired was in excess of $800!!! I have survived w/o AC for several years, and do not see that changing.

Any thoughts, or concerns I should know before attempting to remove it?

just get you a delete pulley to put in its place and you wont have to search all over for the right belt size.

The system is 12 years old...might just need a recharge. I would take it to a few other shops. and see what a flush/recharge would cost.

How about building an on-board air supply out of it?

When i first got the Jeep, I went the route of recharge a few times, but they never lasted too long. The system was diagnosed with a leak. They did not tell me where the leak was, probably in hopes of my spending the $$$ to have them fix it.

I had not heard about the delete pulley, all i knew is that the serp belt layout was different from an AC equipped, to a non-AC.

I do not know if I would have use for on on-board air supply, except for occasional air-down and up of the tires. Has there been any write-ups about the conversion? I am always up for new ideas.

I had not heard about the delete pulley, all i knew is that the serp belt layout was different from an AC equipped, to a non-AC.

someone mis-informed you - the belt routing is the same :thumbup:

there is a bracket that the local dealer will be able to get for you that puts a grooved idler pulley where the AC compressor currently is.

I've purchased one for the Renix XJ's and one of the ODB-1 HO XJ's.

basically, you un-bolt the compressor, bolt in the bracket, bolt in the pulley, and put the belt on exactly the same way as before. :cheers:

When i first got the Jeep, I went the route of recharge a few times, but they never lasted too long. The system was diagnosed with a leak. They did not tell me where the leak was, probably in hopes of my spending the $$$ to have them fix it.

I do not know if I would have use for on on-board air supply, except for occasional air-down and up of the tires. Has there been any write-ups about the conversion? I am always up for new ideas.

Here is one: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471962

You can google for a bunch of others, and there is info on here too.

That is a fantastic conversion! I had no idea that the stock compressor outs out that type of volume at pressure. THAT i could find some uses for! Thank you for all the possibilities.

Back