• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

true or false

mikie2084

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my friend has a 94 wrangler with a 5sp, d30 4.10,d35 4.11. When he bought this jeep the guy gave him a set of 4.88's, its a 4 banger with 33's so it needs gears bad. The problem is some one told him his carrier wouldnt be able to hold the 4.88's true? Also my 98 xj has d30 and 35 and he was talking about selling me his 4.10's and 4.11's, will my carrier work with his gears? If so what is a good price for used gears? Wanting to put 32's on my jeep and I think these gears will help the automatic a lot. thanks guys.
mike

so he should be alright putting 4.88's in his stock carriers but the 4.10's might not work with mine. Why is that? Is it because the r&p is to big to fit in the 3.55 carrier?

If you're still on stock 3.55 gears then you will certainly need a new carrier for the d30 as the carrier break is at 3.73 and numerically higher. That and I'm not sure if the carrier for a high pinion is the same as that for a low pinion d30. The rear should work but I'm not totally certain.

Ace thanks for your reply but can youe explain exactly what youe mean by high and low pinion, I think I know and heard a lot of people say high pinion but I just want to make sure.

mike

His YJ and your '98 will both have high pinion D30's, so that's not even an issue. You will need a new carrier for the front, though, as previously mentioned.

ok so i'll need a new carrier how much does that cost? Will the 4.88's work in his carriers or will he need new ones as well?

best thing to do is to contact one of the gear manufacturers/retailers and talk to them about what you want to do. Just make sure that you know what year each of the vehicles are, what gear ratios they have currently and what gear ratio you want to go to. Many of us could probably answer your questions accurately but it is much easier, faster, more assurance for you to ask the question of someone who can tell you specifically what you need and what it will cost.

Hi/low pinion is where the pinion exits the axle (hi, means at the top of the axle , also means Reverse cut gears) or (low, means at the bottom of the axle, just like your rear D35 axle, or standard cut gears). Also, carriers are usually reasonably in expensive, $50 or so.

While switching gears you might also want to consider traction devices (lockers, limited slips) and also new bearings and seals.

HTH,
Michael

Call Drive Train Direct. You will need new carriers, your friend will not. DTD has always been fiar with me, they have good prices, and their tech support is excellent.

I beg to differ, Eagle, he can re-use his 3.55 D35 carrier and only needs to replace the D30 carrier. The carrier breaks are as follows:

D30 3.55 dn/3.73 up

D35 3.07 dn/3.55 up

D44 3.73 dn/3.92 up

8.25 none

Lawn Cher' said:
I beg to differ, Eagle, he can re-use his 3.55 D35 carrier and only needs to replace the D30 carrier. The carrier breaks are as follows:

D30 3.55 dn/3.73 up

D35 3.07 dn/3.55 up

D44 3.73 dn/3.92 up

8.25 none

My bad. Sorry. :jester:

Back