• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a UNICHIP (with Pics)

milehilonewolf

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to post a tread of my recent install of the relatively new ECU chip by "Unichip".

I spoke one on one with Michael Timmons (503-640-7465) about the best chip for my application. He was very helpful and was able to custom map a chip for me based on the following:

1998 Jeep XJ, 4.0 I6

Air Force 1 Cold Air Intake (non-tapered 3" tube)
Rubicon Express 62mm Throttle Body
Gibson Exhaust Header
2.5 inch Cat Back Exhaust

The Unichip comes with two custom map's. There is map A and map B. Map A is less aggressive and can run on either 87 or 91 octane fuel. Map B is more aggressive and is designed to run STRICTLY on 91 octane fuel. I had my chip tuned to use Map B that way I could get the most out of the chip, this only means using 91 octane from now on.

Below are some photos of the install.... the reason I'm posting this tread is that the there is NO current Unichip offered strictly for the XJ. The one I installed had harness's designed for the TJ, so I thought I would pass along the process we used to make this fit properly in the XJ.

Enjoy!

standard.jpg

What you get.... complete ECU, Harness, programmer, and cool keychain :)

standard.jpg

Shot from above to show harness. NOTE the long harness in the top of the photo, this is a small switch that you can toggle between Map A and B. This switch can be ran into the cab to keep dry if you choose. I'm waiting a couple days to make sure everything is running properly before I run this inside the cab permanently.

standard.jpg

This shows the fender minus the factory ECU, note the square black piece of rubber material. This is adhesive on one side and soft rubber on the other. This is not included with the kit, we added it to the back side of the ECU to prevent any rubbing... further pictures will explain why....

standard.jpg

We mounted the programmer onto the backside of the factory ECU for lack of space inside the engine compartment. We used a couple pieces of velcro to secure.

standard.jpg

Once the factory ECU was bolted in there was a clearance issue. The arrow shows the gap that was apparent with the programmer on... this is why we used a piece of rubber sheet to help protect any effects of vibration and friction.

standard.jpg

We put in a small plastic spacer to help level out the ECU... with the bolts all back in, the fit was tight but very secure.

standard.jpg

Next step was to secure the new ECU to the factory ECU. We are very lucky here because the factory ECU has a large flat spot the is perfect size for the new ECU. We used a couple strips of velcro to secure...

standard.jpg

Here is the new and factory ECU's together...

standard.jpg

Here is the whole unit bolted in with all the connections made. Using a couple zip ties we were able to synch up the loose harness's and snug them up closely to the ECU...

standard.jpg

All buttoned up.... the air intake fits PERFECTLY between the engine shroud and the new ECU and harness.

I will be taking the misses on a day trip tomorrow to test out all the new parts. We will be hitting some city highway, mountain highway and some slow and easy 4 wheeling...

I will repost my impressions after this weekend.

The only way for me to know the exact hp numbers would be for my to have it dyno'd... I will inquire about the "suspected" gains with the company on Monday and see if they have any numbers to give me. Otherwise, I will be using my seat-of-the-pants dyno :)

My main goal in installing the chip was to get "some" hp gains, but most of all I was after making my engine run the "best" it possibly could with all the upgrades I have made. So hopefully I will see some performance and mpg gains. We shall find out here in the next couple days....

holy crap that is a clean engine bay.
I'd say nice install, but hey... stick, plug then play... not that difficult anyway.

for sure let us know how it turns out.

X2, wow! looks great under there

Not as clean as you think! Take a look at the 9th picture down. I have spotted some dirt between the air filter and the pcm.
Seriously though did you just drive that thing off the lot!

What can I say.... I love having a super clean engine bay... I have a highly anal retentive personality, which makes me a little obsessed :)

But yes I know that its not a difficult install, I just wanted to post up the build just in case anyone else was considering the Unichip they would know what was involved before hand.

Just helping out the next guy :)

What would REALLY help me out is a dyno of before and after....and price.

:)

~Scott

That is an obd2 harness and PCM. That's the first time I've seen the Uni on an obd2--that's what I call a piggyback. I might go that direction in the future(currently have the PSC1 that only adjusts fuel, not ignition)--esp. after reading the results on a recent stroker(~50hp and 65lb-ft). Course I could also get the obd2 PCM flashed with a custom tune and not use any piggyback, chip, or adjustable map.

Unichip is a Great upgrade for alot of imports.. very respectable brand!

now... post your review!

its matched to use only 91 octane? you know the different grades in octane is for compression and temp right? higher octane = less detonation/ping, not more power (yes, in a sense, less pinging is better fuel burn and that equals more power but that dosent mean more octane more power) an engine with high compression would benefit from a higher octane, like a mustang. but unless that chip magically increased our compression, I'm skeptical. would actually be a nice test to use 91, get dyno numbers, then run 87 and see what happens.

Nice engine bay btw lol tried to keep mine clean like that and it lasted less the a day lol Id have to add some splash guards or something under mine to keep it that clean lol

What is going on with your power steering pump?

The steering pump and box have been upgraded with a Performance Steering Components (PSC) Heavy duty steering box, high flow steering pump and remote steering fluid reservoir.

its matched to use only 91 octane? you know the different grades in octane is for compression and temp right? higher octane = less detonation/ping, not more power (yes, in a sense, less pinging is better fuel burn and that equals more power but that dosent mean more octane more power) an engine with high compression would benefit from a higher octane, like a mustang. but unless that chip magically increased our compression, I'm skeptical. would actually be a nice test to use 91, get dyno numbers, then run 87 and see what happens.

If anyone knows of place in Colorado that will offer a FREE dyno run let me know :) I would love to test the two different octane's (87-91) as well with and without the unichip to truly see the difference each makes.... but truth be told, I simply can't afford a bunch of dyno time to get those "curiosity" numbers... it would be awesome to know though!

Without having it truly dyno'd, I can't say for sure what the "exact" gains have been since adding the chip, but what I can say is this:

This weekend the misses and I went for a "test run" on some city highway, some high elevation mountain highways and some slow scenic byways.... for the first time since I have owned this XJ (6 years) it finally has ample power to keep up with traffic at highway speeds. Where the power was most notable was a stretch of highway with a steady uphill grade, traffic was moving at 75+ mph, I got stuck behind a slow moving suv in the right lane and lost my momentum... now in the past, in order to pass I would have stepped on the gas, the tranny would shift down a gear, the rpms would shoot up and with some luck i would pass.... well that has changed! All I did was slightly step on the gas, the tranny stayed in gear and the jeep powered around him with no problem.

This might seem trivial to some people, but I know the performance its had for last few years, I have experienced its frustrating lack of power in the mountains... so for it's ability to keep up with traffic and leave me with power to pass is a great feeling.

If I had the funds to truly dyno my XJ I would.. it would undoubtably be great info for not only me but everyone on this forum... but all I can give you at this time is my personal opinion.

Back