• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To repair or not to repair... That is the question

jeep4play2000

NAXJA Forum User
OK, here's the deal. I bought this Jeep for 100 bucks, have about 200.00 into it total including purchase price. '96 2 door, 4.0, 5speed with 119k on it and runs and drives great. I had it on the hoist today and did not see any rust or rust through on the unibody anywhere except a little surface rust here and there. It looks like all floor board rust. I don't know alot about Cherokee's or Unibodies yet, and would like your opinion on whether to sell it or repair it. My plan is to make this a DD and VERY capable off road vehicle as well. I really would like to fix it, but I don't want to waste my money either, so anyway, let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Mark

rrear-1.jpg

rfront-1.jpg

lside.jpg

lfront-1.jpg

Yes, this is posted on "off topic"also, but I figured it was actually now "on topic" and wanted more opinions!
Thanks again,
Mark

Floors are pretty easy to patch up if you can weld. If there's rocker rust thats a little more challenging.

Cut out all the rusted sheet metal, clean it all up, weld/poprivet/sheetmetal screw in your new fitted pieces of metal.

Roll on the bedliner, and either put the carpet back in or leave it out.

I was thinking of doing exactly what you just said only instead of using roll on bed liner I was going to use POR-15. It's supposed to help prevent rust and be virtually indestructable.
Rockers look real good, just very very little surface rust.

Mine was starting along the path of floor pan rust, but I managed to catch it early and replaced only the passenger side front floor pan. If I were you I would DEFINATELY KEEP it, if not for anything else, an awesome toy.

i replaced my floors, and before i got around to doing any prepwork, my back floors, wheel weels and everything started rotting out. with that stupid unibody i just gave up. i decided to wheel it until it snapped in half and then swap everything to the next jeep.

if you decide not to fix it, let me know. if the rest of the body is decent, i might be interested in buying it off of you and wheeling it for a year till it snaps. i need a replacement body, cuz i broke mine again.

I'd go with fixing it, as has been said, it shouldn't be hard to replace the floorpan, and as nice as the rest of that Jeep is, you're not gonna find another that clean everywhere else for that price...:)

Back