• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrangler 6 spd???

Randy_66

NAXJA Forum User
Will the 6 spd manual trans from the Wrangler work in an XJ? Will it bolt up to a NP242?
Has anybody done this swap or changed from an auto to a stick in a 97+ model?

I'm pretty sure that your question has been asked before.

I don't know much about the TJ six-speed, but if you're thinking of swapping in a manual, I'd take a look at the NV4500 five-speed. Advance Adapters, and maybe Novak, offer adaptors to put it into an XJ. It's a really beefy transmission with a first gear down in the sixes, and a nice, tall overdrive.

Randy_66 said:
Will the 6 spd manual trans from the Wrangler work in an XJ? Will it bolt up to a NP242?
Has anybody done this swap or changed from an auto to a stick in a 97+ model?
I swapped AX15 into my 97. It's not a hard process but:
1. you need the brake/clutch pedal assembly
2. you need the whole clutch setup
3. you need a new computer (one specifically made for a manual for your year, junkyard is yoru friend)
4. you need to bypass the NSS wire in the engine bay harness (easy) or tie it into the clutch pedal (just as easy).
5. you need to wire the backup light from the tranny into the engine bay harness (also easy).

IIRC the 6spd is a direct bolt up but it's BIG (as in long). The above mentioned nv4500 is a nice unit but it's not a direct bolt on.

Back