• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd heat up

maine96xj

NAXJA Forum User
i was using low range for a few minutes today through some mud on a dirt road. there was a loud whining or whiring noise from the t case area...what could this be? and alos the motor heated to 250 degrees(just before red zone). the electric fan came on and i stopped and it eventully cooled down at idle. but is it ok for it to heat up this much. it didnt boil over or anything but i just would hate to see something go wrong

Some whining noise is normal for my t-case (NP242) in low range that isn't there in 2wd or 4-hi. Getting that hot in "a few minutes" isn't normal though and I'm not sure how they might be related.

Mine does the same thing. Wheeling in 4low for a while and the temp shoots up til the aux. fan kicks in. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge. It should cool down faster if you are stopped and reving the enging to 1500 to 2000 rpm for a few seconds rather than sitting idle (coolant moving through the system a little faster). Flushed and refilled the coolant system lately?

Jason

no i havnt flushed it since i got it(about 1500miles ago) but the level and mixture was fine when i tested it today.

is it bad for the 4.0 to run it around 250. should i stop and worry about it or just let the aux fan do the work?

auxiliary fan should have kicked on well before 250...I believe it comes on somewhere around 217 if i'm not mistaken.

I would say you have an issue somewhere. Wouldn't hurt to do a coolant flush, even if it looks good....just for peace of mind.

Back