• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Replacement

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
The plastic tank on my 96 XJ master cylinder needs to be replaced. Replacement reservoirs available from both Mopar and aftermarket. Has anyone done this? Can you pop it off (after removing the brake fluid of course) w/o bleeding the system afterward? I'm thinking yes, since the master cylinder will still be full, but just checking to be sure. Thanks all!

Last edited:
The reservoirs can be difficult to remove.
You probably will end up dumping all the fluid so empty it before starting.
Once replaced, the cylinder will need to be bench bleed.
Not removing it doesn't save you a lot of time or effort.
Might be a good time to replace the entire MC.

I seem to recall that the reservoir is held in place with a couple of roll pins. Might be difficult to remove those with master cylinder in the vehicle.

I'd just remove the whole thing. Bleeding the brakes isn't too terrible by yourself and bench-bleeding the master is even easier. When I replaced my master cylinder I got one of those little one-man bleeders with a magnetic base that you attach above the bleeder screw, but you could probably make your own with a bit of hose, a small container (one of those clear reservoirs from a vacuum pump kit would be pretty close to perfect), a magnet and a bit of adhesive.

The roll pins are easy to get to and tap out. I have a new Mopar reservoir coming, and am going to try to replace it w/o removing the master cylinder. Bleeding brakes isn't one of my favorite things, and if I can avoid it I will. Will let y'all know how it works out..

one of those little one-man bleeders with a magnetic base that you attach above the bleeder screw

Got the same one from Harbor Freight and it works well. One tip is to either remove the bleeder and smear the threads with some grease or antiseize, or put some around the base of the bleeder so it doesn't suck air back in.

Back