• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep died need help saving it.

stucker88

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm pretty much stumped here I've had my jeep since September it has a long crank but starts every time it has a small crack in the manifold that's killing my gas mileage but it it generally was running fine til this morning. I let it warm up and went off to work when i hit the highway it wouldn't break 50 mph and started to lose power my oil pressure stayed up around 60 and my temp didn't break 200. I got pulled over and popped the hood and my exhaust manifold was glowing red then the engine stumbled and died. Killed the ignition, checked the catalytic converter which wasn't glowing and let the beast cool off.
I checked all the fluids and everything looked fine and their hadn't been any odd noises coming from the engine. So i decided to try and limp home as I'd only made it a few miles. She started up and died after about five seconds, tuned the key one more time and all i got was a shaking/rattling from underneath me. A phone call to work and a tow truck ride later here i am hoping to save the jeep that made start liking jeeps in the first place please help!

What year is?

The engine is running way too lean. Either the spark timing is off (late), and or the exhaust valves are opening too soon, or the exhaust valves are burned (I think).
Basically the fuel is still burning when the exhaust valves open. Either a timing problem (Jumped chain, bad distributor-thus a late spark ) or exhaust valve problem.

None of which are the end of the world for this beast if its the 4.0 Cherokee motor. I had a ford V-8 doing that for months before I popped the hod one night and saw the E-manifold glowing. That was when I figured out why it was burning up exhaust manifold gaskets and smelling like burnt oil LOL.. My Mechanic missed the caused, I had to figure it out one night when I popped the hood for some reason.

Last edited:
First post, welcome!

It's a sturdy motor, so with some TLC you can fix this - not a super quick job but would be rewarding. I would get a new exhaust manifold (or get it welded out of the truck), and gasket. Methodically disassemble the intake & manifold. Inspect all parts and wires in the area for damage - a lot of heat was coming off of that manifold. Reassemble. Use a torque wrench. Clean all parts and bolts, and follow the factory service manual.

Sounds like you need to inspect the valves and plan on a head replacement/rebuild as well.

@Ecomike does that 2.2L Diesel keep 65mph on the highway?!

Last edited:
.......my exhaust manifold was glowing red then the engine stumbled and died. Killed the ignition, checked the catalytic converter which wasn't glowing and let the beast cool off........
A clogged cat dosen't always glow red. I'd suspect that before anything else, and it's easy to check by unbolting the cat or downpipe. If that's the problem, I doubt if any major damage has been done to the engine since the temp didn't rise too much.

Easiest way to verify a clogged cat is take out the precat o2 sensor and run it. It will throw a code but if it isn't bogging anymore then a bad cat is part of your problem. A plugged cat typically limits rpm to about 2000 so an automatic may have trouble shifting.

I have had it up to 80 mph. It has a 5 speed manual. The entire drive train came out of a Nissan 720 pick up truck, 1981. But with 4 people in it, the AC on, going up hill (very steep up hill climb) It drops back to about 40 mph peak in 3rd gear. It does a lot better with the AC off. I knew a guy that turbo charged his.

@Ecomike does that 2.2L Diesel keep 65mph on the highway?!

clogged cat could be possible.
I would suspect fuel pressure also.
or bad grounds... its a jeep..

Since I had years of issues with mine and no other cars have something as stupid.
check the fuel ballast regulator
in fact.
if you find one.
hit it with a hammer til it doesnt exist anymore. and connect those two wires.

Back