• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Needing an Axle housing and shafts shortened...

you could do the housing yourself right?

have you called like moser or currie to see how much custom length shafts would be? then sell off your old long shafts.

or see how much jeep width 9" shafts are from currie. im sure they keep some in stock. then cut the housing to fit.

you could do the housing yourself right?

have you called like moser or currie to see how much custom length shafts would be? then sell off your old long shafts.

or see how much jeep width 9" shafts are from currie. im sure they keep some in stock. then cut the housing to fit.

moser custom length alloy shafts are $345.00/pair

can't figure out curries website.

Narrowing a housing isn't too hard. You do need a good alignment bar and the pucks that go in the carrier and housing end to get everything straight. AFAIK The ballistic/moser ends won't slip inside a stock 9" housing tube (at least the moser ones I have won't), so you end up having to do a butt weld at the tube/end which may make getting the end centered on the tube more difficult without the bar. Although, I do know some people who have done it without and it worked fine. There's lots of fab and racing shops that can narrow a housing and shouldn't be hard to find if you don't want to do it yourself.

Shafts are a different story. From my searching not too many people do cut/resplining of shafts...affordably anyway. Many machine shops are capable of doing it, but most don't want to do short-run stuff for a decent price. Moser will cut and respline for $110/pair, but consider this: by the time you pay shipping there and back you're about 1/2 way into a new pair of alloy axles. If you break them you'll have to get another pair, when you could have had alloys for the same money and had less chance of breakage in the first place.

I did hear something about the owner of Sunray passing away a year or two ago...

here it is: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790766

Back